Chapter 17: Audrita's Birthday

January 16, 2009 fell on a Tuesday. January sixteenth was Audri's twelfth birthday; she was older than most other first years. Normally, she'd wake up to pancakes made by Grace, but on her twelfth birthday, Audri awoke to small sobs coming from the left of her and a smaill pile of gifts and letters before her feet. She ignored the parcels to hurriedly feed Peregrine and turned her attention to Indira.

"Indira? Indie, are you ok?" Audri whispered. It was still quite early, she didn't want to wake their fellow dormmates, so she tip toed over to Indira's tapered four poster. Indira didn't bother to cover up her swollen eyes or red nose as she normally would.

"My mum sent me another letter," Indira looked at the fallen parchment in front of her. She lay on her side in fetal position with half of her head covered by a pillow. Audri, concerned, took a look at the letter. It expressed her mother's disappointment in receiving a note of her fallen Transfiguration grade. Mrs. Wytherby could be entirely harsh with Indira sometimes, Audri despised her for it.

"But you haven't done horribly..." Audri trailed off, sensing Indira's worsening mood.

"I have to pass! You don't understand! You don't have to work at school, you belong in Ravenclaw!" Indira cried rudely. Audri, shocked took a step back.

"I'm sorry, but I don't understand what I've done wrong," Audri said, perplexed. She crept back to her own bed.

"You just don't understand," Indira reclosed her curtains angrily.

"What's going on?" Tessa asked, her blonde curls all out of place.

"Nothing," Audri smiled sadly. She looked at the packages. She didn't want to open them in such a foul mood, but knew they could instantly brighten her day. She took the letters first, seeing an unexpected extra. From the Poole's.

'Dear Audri,

Richard and I hope you are doing well with them. We're sorry if we made you sad or angry, and wish you the best of luck. Happy birthday, darling! Although we won't be near you to celebrate any more, we send our love. Enclosed is some money for you, use it wisely! Love always, Grace Poole.'

Audri wasn't sure how she felt about the letter. It was nice to have, but she felt angry still, and hurt by them.

"It's Audri's birthday! Wake up!" Tessa shouted to the others, making her blush. "Blimey. I didn't get you anything."

"That's alright," Audri smiled. She moved to her next letter, and following through. Her turn out was better than expected, just like Christmas. She recieved loads of chocolate, and something called a Wonder witch product from Ron and Hermione and George and Angelina. It supposedly would give her hair a golden shimmer. She wondered if it worked. Teddy always swore by Weasley Wizard Wheezes.

"Your birthday is early!" Eldrida said excitedly. "Shall we throw a party?"

"No, my mum's coming, I think," Audri smiled. "She wrote me, and hinted at something. I think that was it."

"How very lucky for you, a mum who cares," Indira sniffed. The other four turned to her.

"Indira, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," Audri spoke quietly.

"It's her birthday, don't ruin it for her!" Their third roommate, Cherie, shouted.

"Come out already!" Teddy shouted from outside. The girls, besides, Indira giggled.

"Do you like Teddy?" Tessa asked with a smirk.

"No!" Audri shouted, obsidian eyes enlarging. "Ted's like my brother! I know you like him!"