Chapter 14: Halloween Job Faire

For the seventh years of Hogwarts, the year was special that Halloween, as least for the teachers, as they held the yearly job faire. For the past ten years it had been going smoothly and Professor Ash would have no less this year. From midmorning to early evening,the Great Hall held a huge job faire for the students to better find their preferences. It was supposed to help students like Audri,who weren't sure what to do.

She let herself sleep in for once, like her peers, and snuggled into her blankets that morning until ten. She felt so rested and refreshed when she woke, it was a wonderful change. When she opened her eyes, the dorm was a soft yellow, from a mix of the Hufflepuff colors and autumn light streaming through the high windows. She turned, but then remembered Peregrine didn't need to be fed any more. She now laid under a newly planted Elf plum tree next to the dirigible plums and fig bushes in front of Longbottom Tower. Audri pictured her now happily puffing around in the clouds, since she now knew Heaven wasn't exactly real. It was still highly debated, but Audri believed, as most wizards do, that Jesus Christ was a wizard who played with power. The whole ordeal was a complete mess which is why wizards so often skimmed that part of history over. It was better to leave an incomplete mystery behind. Wizards rarely ever skimmed history, as seen by the importance in having a history class, but the wisest of wizards knew some things were best left alone. Besides, there were some firm believers in Christianity and that a god had bestowed their powers unto them.

Sighing, she rose and splashed some water from the jug on her nightstand, taking care to pull her long blonde hair back into a pony tail. It may have been Halloween, but she would never ruin the only job faire available to students. She clapped her hands loudly to awaken her roommates.

"Job faire today, ladies!" She yelled in the middle of the room. That woke them up with a start. Tessa's curly hair was all over the place, and Eldrida looked like a zombie, but Audri knew they would look perfect with the help of some simple charms before breakfast. Audri pulled on her woolly hat and boots with long socks before heading to the Common Room alone. She closed her eyes for a moment, silently remembering her watch on her nightstand and rushed back in, to see a flurry of movement, even Cherie was up and about. She walked past the beds until her own and grabbed the delicate silver watch given to her from Neville and Luna on her seventeenth.

======================================================

"I'm only here for you nimbles," Teddy muttered as they strode to the Great Hall. All seventh years were milling about, with what seemed like hundreds of stands from all over the world there to seek Hogwarts students' help.

"I'm here because my girlfriend promised we could go to Sluggy's by dinner time," Ethan and Ted high fived. Audri huffed her breath and led the way, wishing Indira could be with her to laugh at their idiocy. She randomly walked past each booth, many for further wizard schooling out of the country. There was a Missionary-type offer in Kenya. She couldn't see herself doing something so frightening.

"Oi!" Teddy shouted, rushing to the British Auror Training stand where her father, Harry Potter, and Ron Weasley were chatting. "Nice seeing you lot!"

"Us?" Ronald chuckled, his cheeky grin with a little grayed stubble. "We're suprised to see the rebel Ted Lupin here."

Ethan shook hands with each of them while Audri waved hello and smiled proudly at her family. Teddy shook his head and grabbed a photo from the front of the booth; it was an older one with his mum's bright pink hair flashing in the front of the group. For a woman who could look like anything she wanted, Audri was surprised to see she was quite average despite the pink locks. Unlike Teddy's haunting golden eyes and bright teal hair, although she supposed that was almost natural to him now.

"My mum," Teddy pointed at her to Ethan, just as Professor Ash and Mr. Redburn walked towards them. She nodded her respect to everyone before her, while Mr. Redburn shook hands. His hair was still a nice red and his glasses were small ovals this time.

"I remember her, she was always a fun friend," Professor Ash smiled sadly at the picture of mostly dead Aurors. "She was bloody clumsy-"

"Of course," Neville and his fellow old friends chuckled appreciatively about Nymphadora Lupin's klutzy behavior.

"-But she was a brave and loyal companion to the bone," Professor Ash patted Teddy's shoulder. "Now, it's Halloween and I'm sure you have a lot to look through, so don't dwadle too much!"

"Wait, Professor, who's this man?" Teddy asked, gesturing towards the tall freckled man.

"Mr. Redburn," Professor Ash mysteriously replied. The three students turned to the adults before them. Audri broke the silence.

"He's a Muggle isn't he?" She asked, noting how he didn't seem to have a wand on his person, nor any signs of magical empowerment. Neville nodded soberly. "Why does she let him come around?"

"He's a politician in the Muggle world that fancies her so," Harry replied with a half smirk. "He's honest enough, I've checked myself, but simply astounded by her beauty and magical prowess as he calls it."

Teddy burst out laughing, holding his sides in the fit. Audri thought Mr. Redburn was quite adorable, and a nice match for quirky Professor Ash. Surely he was better than any wizard she could find in the moment.

"Oh hush it, Ted, let's move along," Audri and Ethan pulled him, awkwardly waving goodbye, and moved on to more booths. Many students passed along, and Wanda Ashton, of the yearbook committee, took their portrait before they reached the other end of the Hall and had to return. The rest of their search was uneventful, mostly full of offers Audri could definitely resist. Nothing really caught her eye, although a few things made her think a bit. There was an idea of illustrating childrens' novels and another of being a painter's trainee, but neither really made her truly want to join their ranks.

They were glad to be one of the first groups out of the masses in the Great Hall.

"Uh, hey!" Audri looked ahead to see Daelon and his Slytherin pal, Thomas Peal. Peal was decent enough to other Houses, although his silence sometimes made Audri wonder what truly went on in his mind. He was an average, slightly skinnier boy who had pale brown hair and eyes.

"Hello," She responded, sensing the eye rolls of Ted and Ethan. "Heading down to Slughorn's?"

"No, we can't go without better grades," Daelon smirked. He was quite heart-stopping with dimples and a strong jaw, like an American movie star.

"Oh too bad, so sad," Teddy saluted them and veered Audri off, Ethan going for her hand immediately.A night of surprises, a tanned young woman and someone deathly pale whom she recognized stepped between them. The woman raised an eyebrow.

"Well now Draco, look! Instead of Gryffies we've got little Huffles and Slytherins clashing!" The woman laughed, shaking her hair in the process. Draco Malfoy's name came to mind as the piercing blue eyes and pale blonde hair met her and the boys.

"Oh Nat, I believe we stepped in the middle of a conundrum, do continue," Draco Malfoy grabbed her hand and pulled her a step back as if to watch a fight. "Might I recommend Bat Bogey? Always a favorite of mine."

"Such as when Ginny set it upon yourself?" Nat asked, giving her other half a mighty look. He sneered, but chuckled all the same. "Go along to your little party. I'm sure Sluggy's waiting for you!"

She waved at Audri, Ethan, and Teddy.

She raised a brow but mouthed goodbye to Daelon and allowed herself to be led out to the party.

"My, he's handsome," Audri could hear Nat say, probably about Daelon.

"Don't go running around your cradle robber!" Draco barked a laugh louder than he spoke.

"Oh please, you've got some years on me!" But that was the last Audri heard before being whisked around the corner.