Chapter 4: First Day

Chapter 4- First Day

Audri slowly opened her eyes, blinking a few times, and stretching in her luxurious yellow bed. She smiled. How could it all have been so real, when it sounded like a fairy tale? She lay in bed, thinking about the automatic differences between her parents. Obviously she'd taken more from her mother if she was a Hufflepuff, though she had to have some of her father if the sorting hat even considered Slytherin. She wondered what they would think of her in Hufflepuff? Did wizards believe in Heaven? Would that be where her parents rested, watching her so serenely? She dearly hoped so, if only to hold onto the only ideas she had about them. She wished for a picture of them, more of a background. She wanted to know them.

Audri blinked again, then sat up, looking at three sleeping girls and Indira, who seemed to be writing in her diary, or perhaps a notebook. It must have been private, for she looked at Audri, blushed and smiled.

Audri distracted herself with Peregrine, her Pygmy Puff that was resting on its little pillow on her nightstand. It seemed to wake as she looked at it. Peregrine hopped around cheerfully, almost spastically. She giggled and gave it some Pygmy food, thinking that she'd probably have to leave it in her room, so she scrambled out of bed for her cage. He hopped in it cheerfully, and Audri turned back to Indira.

"'Morning." Audri smiled, yawning.

"Good morning." Indira finished a last thought, then looked straight at Audri with her wide, hazel eyes.

"I suppose we should ready ourselves and head to breakfast. Classes start at eight." Audri sighed.

"Should we wake the others?" asked Indira. Audri nodded. The other woke, and each set off to get ready to eat. Audri and Indira went to the common room, to find Teddy waiting for them, whistling some happy tune.

"Jolly good! I've waited only ten minutes-I wasn't sure whether to call for you or not." Teddy smiled. Today, his hair was a light brownish color.

"Are you nervous Teddy?" Audri asked, behind him while crawling through the barrels.

"I don't feel so. Why?" He gave each girl a hand up, before leading the way back to the Great Hall.

"Well, I know Metamorphagus sometimes change appearances with different emotions, and you're hair is very light today. Not as blue." She looked at the tapestries of goblins and such. Strange creatures lined the tapestries; she hadn't noticed them last night.

"Oh." Teddy's face fell a bit. He looked at each girl, seeming to size them up in that untrusting way. They were friends now, weren't they? "Actually, I like to change a lot from the blue, for my dad. His hair was like this."

Each girl nodded, not wanting to pry. It seemed hard enough for him to say that simple statement. They strolled into an almost full Hall, sitting at their respective table in between the Slytherins and Ravenclaws. Again, Teddy ate like a giant, or pretty close to it. Was he really fat, but changed his appearance to look thinner? Well that was just a preposterous thought. She looked around and supposed most boys ate like monsters.

"Here." Damon handed them schedules. Audri exhaled. First class Herbology, with the Gryffindors and Professor Longbottom. She thought about the various plants in the common room-Hufflepuffs must have green-thumbs.

"Brilliant! First class with Neville, and the Gryffindors are all right!" Teddy smiled with food smeared on his cheek. Audri giggled. "What?"

"You've got a bit of jelly on your left cheek." Indira smiled. "Here." She handed him a napkin; he blushed.

"Right, well, I'm still very excited for our first class." He smiled and stabbed a tomato. Suddenly, a great number of owls swooped in, giving mail to most of the student body present. Audri was surprised to see a Great Gray owl fly down to her. It was a fluffy creature that held its leg out with her post. She turned to see Teddy and Indira receive owls as well.