Chapter 6: Detention For the Lot of You

Audri waited patiently for her turn to use the dorm bathroom, Tessa always took longest. She had a funny feeling about the day ahead of her. She wasn't sure what it was, but she just knew something was going to happen to her. She decided to take her sketch pad out and attempt to color how she felt as she waited. It was a strange drawing. Something between a Horned Blue Bettle and a Skipping Toad, both which Luna had shown her in her Book of Findings.

By the time lunch came around, Audri's day had gone by as it usually did. She'd grown used to Teddy and Victoire snogging all lunch, and spending most of her day with Ethan. Ethan was a fine companion to have, since he was funny and as smart as she, but he never understood why she enjoyed art so much. To him it was all the same.

Per usual, Ethan, Audri, Teddy and Victoire rose from their lunch to take a stroll across the grounds. Hogwarts was always beautiful in the fall. The tall structure stood proud against the gloomy skies, while the lake's ominous green colors stood in contrast to the yellowing leaves of the Forbidden Forest. It would have been a perfect picture for her to paint if she brought her supplies with her.

"Today is lovely, eh?" Ethan asked with a wry smile. Audri found him very charming in that moment-his blue eyes sparkled in an excited manner.

"Absolutely dapper, old chum!" Teddy winked at the girls, who giggled as this began another round of 'who is the funniest' between the boys. Suddenly, they all stopped in the corridor. Daelon and his friends were blocking their path. Daelon had grown up since his porky years. He was almost as tall as Teddy, with dark, auburn, curly hair, and in-set brown eyes. If Audri hadn't disliked him so much, she would call him handsome-more so than Ethan.

"Oi! Mind moving a bit?" Teddy shouted over the Slytherins' loud chattering. They grew silent. Daelon eyed their little group, but moved aside, beginning a chain reaction amongst his friends. It was a strange movement that seemed unused to their limbs.Hufflepuffs were always the most teased; surely one of them would be tripped as they passed.

Audri, being the last to walk, felt a large hand on her shoulder.

"Wait," Daelon stopped her. She slowly turned around, feeling Teddy and Ethan tense up at the sounds of Daelon's voice.

"Yes?" Audri kept a complacent face, hoping he wasn't out to start a fight. Daelon removed his hand and took a deep breath. She felt a warm spot where his hand was.

"Are you busy this Saturday?" Daelon's eyes were hopeful. She stopped thinking for a moment.

"Wh-what?" Audri felt perplexed. What was he getting at?

"What could you possibly want from her?" Ethan asked, taking her hand in his to lead her behind him. "Perhaps we should just-"

"Mind our own business?" Daelon spat. Audri could feel Ethan's strength as his grip on her hand tightened. His blue eyes had gone icy-something that always frightened Audri. That look was powerful, and demeaning if one was under his gaze.

"How about we leave and no one here has to get into trouble?" Ethan threatened with a cock of his head. Daelon exhaled, his fellow Slytherins approaching behind him.

"I don't take to being threatened," Daelon replied. He seemed more dangerous than Teddy and Ethan combined. Perhaps it was his wider stature. He was not fat any more, no, just stronger-built to say in the least.

"Ah Porky. I see the old temper's ruining this fine conversation," Teddy seemed to grow-he was growing," and I'd rather not have another detention beneath my belt this morning."

All of a sudden all three boys had their wands at the ready, aiming it at each other, and prepared to duel. Victoire whimpered in fear beside her-she could never be a Gyffindor, but Audri acted quickly.

"Protego!" She said it faster than she could think. Everyone fell back a little at the power of her voice. "Detention for the lot of you!"

"What?!" Teddy shouted, turning on her. Yet, he calmed down, seeing the fairness in this decision. Daelon still shook with anger, now towards her. Audri knew how unmanageable his anger proved at the worst of times-especially when he got into trouble. Daelon looked into her eyes, searching for something, something that must have calmed him down. She could see his breathing slow. Maybe he wasn't as bad as he was in childhood. To be honest, he had yet to direct an insult towards anyone this year, which was a feat for any Slytherin about a month into the school year.

"I'm glad we're all on the same page now," Audri breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm sure Professor Ash will find each of you before nightfall."

"Right," Ethan closed his eyes, already calmer than the other two and ready to move on. That was always something Audri admired in her best friend. That he understood the consequences of his actions, unlike Teddy, who only understood that half of the time. Luckily, before any more awkward words could be exchanged, the bell rang and Audri was free to go to her free period in the Common Room with Ethan. She waved goodbye to Teddy and Victoire as they all walked beyond that moment, but they didn't see her, being too wrapped up in whispers.

When she finally reached the Common Room, she felt herself relax-waves of energy rolled off her as she allowed herself to be comfortable in her home. She lay on a couch before the magicked fire, ready to take a nap. She heard Ethan step until he took his usual spot on an armchair to read. It was always wonderfully comfortable between them. Talking could cease, and it would still feel natural. Before Audri could comment on previous events, she heard someone leave the Girls' Dormitories.

"Afternoon," Ethan smiled absentmindedly at Indira. Audri looked up. She wasn't sleepy, or dazed, or confused. She looked her normal worried self. Audri wasn't sure if this was a good or bad sign. Indira looked at her with watering eyes, coming to sit at her feet, but Audri sat up to make room. She didn't want to ruin the moment. Maybe she could salvage what she lost and forget everything she said about lost friendship to Teddy.

"Hello," Audri's voice cracked.

"I'll just go to my bed," Ethan awkwardly left the room with a smirk, but neither acknowledged his presence, or what was left of it. Indira sniffled a little.

"I know you were just trying to help," Indira said after a long time.

"I'm sorry if I over did anything-it wasn't my place," Audri started but Indira shook her head and took out the bottle of greenish fluid. Audri hushed immediately.

"This is Haymarck's Liquid, imported from America," Indira said seriously, looking down at the bottle in her hands. "My mum got it for my depression-" Audri gasped, "but to tell you the truth, it's illegal."

"Wha-why?" Audri shook her head, too confused to speak properly. Indira chuckled nervously.

"I-I have been depressed for a few years now, Healer's just confirmed, but only this seems to work," Indira gave the potion a funny look, as if she, too, was not entirely sure why it was in her hands. "Being alone is hard enough, but feeling horrible and alone, it's more than anyone can bear."

Indira cried softly in between words, making Audri tear up as well. They had been best friends for so long, this could not have gone any other way.

"And to think that my younger sister is the smarter, beautiful one! That is a shame upon my heart," Indira shook her head and looked at Audri with true sorrow. Audri took her hand in no other response. Indira was a pretty crier. Her nose didn't redden as Audri's did; the tears simply fell as if her beauty were to be unmarked by anything-even her own pain.

"No, no," Audri whispered. "You are perfect."