Chapter 10: Early Birds

Audri was awake, earlier than usual, and found that many of the women, and Bill and Arthur Weasley were already awake, as well as some of the toddlers. Some were in the kitchen, preparing a rather large breakfast, while everyone else was scattered about. Audri left the sleeping Professor and his sons asleep in Ginny's room and creeped downstairs, to look for a familiar face, hopefully Luna's or Ginny's.

"Oh, you're up quite early!" Mrs. Weasley gave her a warm smile. Audri could see the similarities between her and Ginny. They shared the same, caring brown eyes and warm smile.

"Good morning," Audri greeted her.

"Audri's an early bird," Luna smiled serenly over a cup of tea. Hermione sat next to her, looking over the Daily Prophet.

"The early bird catches the worm," Hermione said to herself. The other wizards gave her an odd look. "OH, now you can't tell me you lot haven't heard that one? It doesn't even have much muggle meaning to it!"

"Mum's always said, 'The rising owl, merely fowl, sleeping owl always foul,'" Ginny responded from the kitchen.

"Mmm, yes my mum told me that too. Daddy used to say, 'Rise and shine before nine!' But I don't suppose muggles wouldn't know that. It's quite simple," stated Luna. Mr. Weasley chuckled.

"To each his own," Bill said. Audri wondered how his face became so scarred. He would have had fairly nice features, if it weren't for the scarring. When his wife was around, Fleur, it didn't seem so bad. Perhaps her beauty overshadowed his loss.

"How are you liking wizarding Christmas?" Hermione changed the subject. Audri took a seat next to Luna, across from her.

"It's quite similar to muggle Christmas. Although, we never had a fire in a tent," Audri said, causing laughter. "Nor did we listen to Celestina Warbeck." She caused an even greater roar of laughter.

"I'd expect not. You know, I was muggle born," Hermione said to Audri's shock. From what everyone else said, she performed great magic. But perhaps bloodlines didn't affect the power of magic coming from the witch.

"OH really? But it isn't quite the same as finding out you were a witch all along. I mean, I suppose you had found that out, but you always knew your parents would be there," Audri said quietly.

"Not quite," Hermione put the paper down and looked at audri very seriously. The others began to talk amongst themselves, never ones to intrude upon private conversations. "Come on, let's go for a morning walk, shall we?"

Audri followed her out back, where the tent once was. Now, there were fields, and trees and shrubbery all covered in a thin layer of snow. It was beautiful. Even the chickens looked happy in the snow.

"During the war, I couldn't risk having my parents killed, or worse, tortured," Hermione began, leading Audri on a path through the orchard.

"What did you do?" Audri looked up at her. She was pretty, in her own way. Her wild hair was pulled into a pony tail, and she had soft features. She had that self assured feeling, that wasn't a cold exterior, but one that let others know she knew who she was and was proud of it.

"Well, to protect them, I modified their memories. I changed their entire lives! They forgot about me, didn't even know they had me," Hermione gave Audri a soft look. "It was saddening. Sometime after the war, I had to find them. You see, I made them believe they wanted to live in Australia, so naturally they moved out there."

"But how did you find them? Was there any particular clues as to where in Australia they were?"

"You're a sharp one. That's good. You can keep Teddy in line," Hermione smiled at her. "I used a hair from my mother's old brush and a tracking spell to find them. They were happily living on the coast, I almost didn't want to give them their memories back. They didn't need all the hardships of relearning it all. If I did change them back, they would feel awful. As if I betrayed them, because they always believed they could protect me. But, they were only dentists. They could wield a toothbrush, but not a wand."