26 - Discovering The Truth

Budapest - George Ezra

26 - Discovering The Truth

Word count: 1994

"One smile can't change the world, but your smile changes mine." 

***

After spending a considerable amount of time with my beloved family, it was finally time to go home. Earlier, I had informed Alan I was with family. If I didn't, he would go on a hunting spree for me. I'm not kidding. 

So at nine o'clock, two hours after Brock returned home, Alan arrived. When Brock first got back, he was shocked that I was here. But that quickly disappeared. He joined in with the rest of us but not with sadness rimmed in his eyes. Having Hannah ignore him has left a massive hole in his heart. It's crazy to wrap my head around how much Brock cares for her. I am happy he found a girl like Hannah though - she's sweet and crazy as hell but good. She cares about him. That's all I want for him.

"Oh, who's that at the door?" Mom jumps up from her seat, scurrying over to the door.

"That would be Alan," I answer, gracefully standing up.

Dad and Martin quickly copy my movements, trailing behind me as I go to the door. I watch mom swing the door open, giving Alan a kind, friendly smile.

"Why, hello handsome," she flirts, throwing a wink over her shoulder to dad who shakes his head in disbelief. Mom did like to tease him. "Who might you be?"

Alan, who is wearing a stoic expression, answers cooly. "I'm here for Whitney."

Mom flickers her eyes to me, confused for a moment by Whitney. I guess she forgot that I go by a different name now.

"Hi Alan," I greet, smiling. "I've just got to put my shoes on."

Alan gives me a brief nod whilst eyeing my family. Whilst his eyes appear hooded, if you stare closely, you can see the hidden curiosity in them. I bet he's dying to ask me why I chose to come and see them today, after being elbowed in the face.

"Alan?" Dad asks, puzzled. "Who are you exactly?"

The way dad is now standing stiffly by the living room entrance, with an equally stiff looking Martin next to me makes me want to roll my eyes. They think I am like him or I'm with him. Clearly, they haven't been keeping up with the tabloids.

"He's my bodyguard dad," I say, dryly. Dad's eyebrows shoot up in shock, not expecting me to say that. I thought Brock would at least tell them I have a boyfriend since he's told them about everything that's happened - except for Jason. I'm glad he hasn't done that yet, I want to ask mom for advice about him tomorrow. There's something peculiar in the way he acted today. I just can't put my finger to it.

Dad's body relaxes, along with Martin's. It seems, since I've made my way back into their lives, they've become somewhat protective of me.

"Well then, it's nice to meet you, Alan. I'm Anastasia's dad, this is her older brother Martin beside me and as you probably know, Brock as well." Dad introduces, all hostility vanished.

"I know who you are," Alan says, nonchalantly. His gaze settles back on me after analyzing my dad and Martin.

By now, I've finished putting my shoes on - rather awkwardly might I add - and I'm ready to go. Firstly, I hug dad and Martin, promising to pop by tomorrow. Next, Brock gives me a tight hug. I assume he's hugging me so tightly for reassurance that I'm not mad at him. We've hardly spoken the past week - perhaps he thought I didn't want to associate myself with him. Who knows? Or maybe, he just needs comfort because he's not getting any from Hannah right now.