21 - The Slap

Heaven - Emeli Sande

21 - The Slap

Word count: 1630

"It's not the pain, it's who it came from." 

***

At the start of school the next day, Hannah met me by the doors. She wanted to me to be there when she confronted Brock. Hannah greeted me with a tight smile, eyeing the press behind us who were trying to barge their way through. When she noticed me watching her, she tried to put on a brave face, pretending to not be afraid. 

But I knew she was. Fame isn't for everybody. Handling the media is a pain. Most days, even I just want to give up and forget about being famous. 

Celebrities lives are public, trying to keep a private life is so hard. 

I loop my arms through Hannah's and walk into the school with my head held high. Alan follows us too, on high alert. Ever since the journalist managed to sneak into the school, Alan has been trying to get security tighter around here. He wants someone to watch all of the press outside. 

We search the halls for Brock, passing his locker and Callum's in the hope that he was there. Eventually, we found him standing next to Athena's locker. 

Ares and Callum are there too, all three of them whispering furiously together about something. None of them notice us until I clear my throat. 

They all look up startled, with wide eyes. From my peripheral vision, I see Hannah narrow her eyes at Brock, pinching her lips together. I can also feel his eyes on me. Glancing at him quickly, I exam his face. Specifically, his eyes. 

Sadness clouds his green eyes - sadness from what I did. I need to talk to him, I really do. 

I have to make amends, make my intentions known. 

If I am going to achieve anything here, it will be finally letting all the demons I ran away from catch up with me. 

I snap back into now when Hannah uncoils her arm from mine and takes a step forward. She faces Brock with a determined and enraged expression. The rest of us stand to the side of them, close to the lockers, with bated breaths. We can all clearly see how mad she is about being lied to and my previous treatment. 

The question is: what is she going to do? 

"You are a despicable person." Hannah remarks in a bitter tone. Brock knits his eyebrows together, with a clueless face. I wonder what is running through his head right now. Has he ever gotten into a fight with Hannah before? 

"Hannah, what is goi -" 

Brock stops speaking when Hannah slaps him. On the cheek. Hard. 

Gasping, I put my hand over my mouth and stare. I can't believe she just...slapped him. Hannah, the least violent person I know here, the innocent bundle of joy, slapped her boyfriend with a murderous expression on her face. 

My eyes wander around the hallway, double checking that nobody else is watching. What I don't need is the media getting pictures of me witnessing a fight - or even worse, partaking in one. Lulu would flip. Speaking of her, I need to talk to her about this Jason thing. 

Last night, Casey spoke to me about the incident and said that Lulu would handle the problem. She said it as if it would dampen my worries but whenever Lulu has full control of a situation, it doesn't end well for me.