REMUS AND ROMULUS

REMUS AND ROMULUS

Romulus and Remus were twin brothers, whose story tells the events that led to the founding of the city of Rome and the Roman Kingdom by Romulus. They were the children of Rhea Silvia and Mars. Their story is recorded by many authors including Virgil who claims their birth and adventures were fated in order for Rome to be founded. The two brothers were the direct descendants of Aeneas, whose fate-driven adventures to discover Italy were also described by Virgil in The Aeneid.

There is much debate and variation as to whom was the father of Romulus and Remus. Some myths claim that Mars laid with Rhea Silvia, whilst other myths attest that the demigod hero Hercules was her partner. However, the author Livy claims that Rhea Silvia was in fact raped by an unknown man, but blamed her pregnancy on divine conception. In either case, Rhea Silvia was discovered to be pregnant and gave birth to her sons.

During this era, it was custom that any Vestal Virgin betraying her vows was condemned to death; the most common death sentence was to be buried alive. However, King Amulius, fearing the wrath of the paternal god did not wish to directly stain his hands with the mother's and children's blood. His solution was to imprison Rhea Silvia and order the twins' death by throwing them into the Tiber River. He reasoned that if the twins were to die by the elements, he and his city would not be punished. Thus, the king ordered a servant to carry out the death sentence, but the servant took pity on the twins and spared their lives. The servant, then, placed the twins into a basket onto the River Tiber, where the boys were carried to safety.

The river god Tibernus ensured their safety by calming the river. The twins were first discovered by a lupa, who suckled them, and they were fed by a picus. Eventually, they were discovered and cared for by a shepherd and his wife: Faustulus and Acca Larentia. The two boys grew up to be shepherds like their adoptive father. One day while they were herding their sheep, they were met by some of King Amulius' men. A fight broke out, in which Remus was captured and taken before King Amulius. Romulus organized a band of local shepherds to join him in rescuing his brother. King Amulius believed that Rhea Silvia's children were dead, so he did not recognize Remus or Romulus. Romulus freed his brother, and in the process killed King Amulius.

Romulus and Remus left Alba Longa seeking to found their own city, and each set out to find the best locale. The brothers quarrelled over the location of the foundation of their new city; Romulus wishing to start the city on the Palatine Hill, while Remus arguing that they should found it on the Aventine Hill. In order to settle their dispute, they agreed to consult an augury. Each brother prepared a sacred space on their respective hills and began to watch for birds. Remus claimed to have seen six birds, while Romulus said he saw twelve. Romulus asserted that he was the clear winner, but Remus argued that since he saw his six birds first, he had won. The brothers remained at a standstill and continued to quarrel until Romulus began to dig trenches and build walls around his hill: the Palatine Hill.

In response to Romulus' construction, Remus continuously mocked the wall and his brother's city. Remus was so bold as to jump over Romulus' wall jestingly. In response to Remus' belittlement, Romulus killed him. There are several versions as to how Remus was killed on the day Rome was founded. In Livy's version, Remus simply died after jumping over Romulus' wall, which is thought to be a sign from the gods of Rome's power and fate. According to St. Jerome, Remus was killed for his mockery by one of Romulus' supporters, who threw a spade at his head. Afterwards, Romulus mournfully buried his brother, bestowing upon him full funeral honours. Remus' death and founding of Rome are dated by Livy to April 21st, 753 BCE.

G L O S S A R Y

Lupa; she-wolf

Picus; woodpecker

Alba Longa; King Amulius' kingdom

Augery; a type of prophecy in which birds are examined and observed to determine what actions or persons the gods favour