Baxter's Gambit

"Give me the mascara!"

"No! Take the goddamn eyeliner!"

"Rowan, I thought I told you to get your butt down on that chair and don't move a muscle, missy!"

Rolling my eyes beyond the heavens, I plopped down on the only chair set in the room, crossing my arms over my chest as I looked over at April and Tania scrambling around the room, a grumpy scowl curling my lips. And before anyone asks, yes, they already invited themselves over here to help me with my makeup and pick out my outfit for the Blue's and my date. Call me paranoid, but those two were even more anxious than me. And they weren't coming with us! And for fuck's sake this date wasn't even my first! Especially with this certain turtle.

Tania's hands both grasped at my shoulders, forcing me in place on the chair. Not only was I ridiculously bored but irritation was leaking into my system with everything these two brats were doing. It'd be nicer if they just let choose my own outfit, since I could easily just wear a pair of jeans and a fancier top. No jewelry and makeup. Blue isn't like the guys Jewel's told me about, he doesn't care what I wear because he loves me for me, as cheesy as that sounds. I turned to Tania who was fishing for her makeup from a miniature purse and rolled my eyes again.

"This isn't necessary, y'know. I coulda done this all myself." I droned with a childish pout. April shot me a glare before turning back to my closet, her hands flying for tops, jeans, consisting mostly of black and blue, along with some t-shirts, tops, and a couple of sweaters. "I'm sure you could've." she scoffed sarcastically, and Tania snickered under her breath.

I merely rolled my eyes and huffed.

April whirled around and presented me two dresses; a strapless with sleeves reaching the wrists dress in a velvet red color, similar to my hair. The other one looked girlier than what I usually wear and reminded me of summer nights where girls go to a club with friends and dance the night away, no care in the world. It was white, strapless too but it had a golden belt tied on the waistline. It was truly beautiful but it wasn't something I would wear. Taking a glance of them, April turned her head to me, patience clear in her expression.

"Which do you prefer? Red..." she raised her left hand a bit higher with the red dress, wiggling it a little, "Or white?" Crossing my arms on my chest, I eyed the two dresses warily and flitted my skeptic gaze back to April. "Uh...red?" It sounded more of a question than an answer, and I shrugged my shoulders. I just wanted this...fashion hell to end anytime soon because none of this was my kind of idea for fun. I guess I'm more a tomboy, wear something simple that doesn't stuck out like a sore thumb because unlike some girls, I don't give a shit what others think. Plus boys don't always have proper manners.

Tania's fingers hooked under my chin, gentle as if I were her daughter and she was the mother, roughly scrubbing concealer all over my skin.

"White."

I rolled my eyes in exasperation and crossed my arms, and that's when I caught of whiff of something hot heating into my scarlet red tresses. I realized that April was using the curling iron to curl my locks, something I considered as pointless. Tania was finished with allying the concealer and carefully traced liquid black eyeliner against my eyelids, her tongue poking out of the corner of her mouth, eyes narrowed in concentration. Apes was thankfully done with my hair and she was heading back to my closet, fishing for a pair of shoes. "At least you a decent pair of shoes." she teased, a bit huffily from the closet.

"I don't care." I replied, annoyed as Tania started to pull out some lipstick. My thoughts about the date crossed my mind and I realized that I was a bit anxious about it. Okay, I was thrilled about the fact that this would be my traditional first date with my boyfriend after months piling after months, but...I don't know. I guess I was still anxious and, quite honestly, a little angry too. I was anxious because I thought I would mess something up, possibly everything. And I was angry about the fact that Blue decided, without asking for my say in the matter, to announce our date right after I agreed. That was something I didn't like at all. A tentative knock was heard, thunderous against the dark, and the three of us froze as all eyes were glued on the shut door, our breaths concealed and held as if our life depended on it.