The Pulverizer

It was late at night on the surface of New York. I could hear the bustle of the city as cars honked at each other from above, buses coughing raggedly, unaware of the mutants below the underbelly of the city, in an old train station that seemed better days. We were at a subway tunnel, waiting for Donnie to show up with his new invention. He was sure that we all would like it and that it was one of his best inventions yet. My legs dangled from where I was sitting with others on the edge of the platform.

This surprise better be good.

"Hey Rowny..."

I turned to Blue and raised an eyebrow, smiling at him warmly. "What is it?" I asked. "I want to thank you for everything you did last night. For comforting me." he thanked and stepped forward, arms encircling around me in a warm, loving embrace. "Anytime. Even though I still think that your plan sucks." I added the last part with a teasing tone, grinning as I hugged him back.

I couldn't stop thinking about Karai ever since that night. How fun the three of us had when were young and innocent. And it just...ended, because of one, big, stupid mistake. Karai and Jewel were like sisters to me. I was the levelheaded one, the one who liked to have fun but was responsible when she needed to be. Karai was more of the rebellious one who talked back and liked to tease people. And Jewel was the one who wanted to have fun and she liked to sass her superiors, a loveable spitfire who caused way too much trouble. Just like me, just like Karai. It was our thing and we all...it's complicated. And I knew how Jewel could be when it came to holding a grudge, I knew how she would react and I knew she wouldn't like it.

And I totally understood her.

My time in the Foot Clan was the most painful experience of my life. I knew Karai couldn't leave because of her father, but when my parents died...I had no one else to stay for. I wanted Jewel to come with me, but her father was the last person she had left and she couldn't just leave him. I hate to say it, but if I hadn't left so soon, things might've gotten worse for me...for everyone. But what can I expect from a mad man like Shredder, who's so bent on revenge and would stop at nothing until he had Splinter's head at his feet.

Even hurt an innocent.

Mikey was sitting on edge of the tracks, next to Raph as he let out a long, suffering sigh, "Ugh, what's taking so long?" he droned, "Donnie knows I have a short atten-ooh, gum!" I watched as he bent down eagerly to grab a piece of old, chewed-up gum. I wrinkled my nose in disgust, and Raph slapped the piece of candy out of Mikey's hand. Raph planted his hands on his hips.

"Man, this better be worth it."

Something rattled against the tracks, roaring as it rose closer to where we were all sitting. We gawked in surprise when it finally came into view. Out came a large, converted subway car, painted in graffiti art from top to bottom. It was equipped with a long, retractable top-mounted garbage cannon, bumper-mounted crushing jaws at the front, and a sewer lid shooter. It was screeching with effort when it came to one of those dramatic halts before all of us. We all stood there like a bunch of idiots; slacked jaws and wide eyes.

"Worth it."

The doors at the side opened with an elevator 'ding!' to reveal a very smug looking Donnie, who leant against the door with an elbow, "So?" he asked them expectantly.

Blue hopped off our perch and I wordlessly followed him and moved to stand beside a dumbstruck Raphael, "You turned Leatherhead's old subway car into this?" he asked, gesturing to it with a hand, and I stare at the large vehicle with a mixture of surprise and pride. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Raph looking up at him, "Donnie, have I ever told you how awesome you are?" he asked. Donnie grinned, "No you haven't."