TCRI

Rain drizzled faster and harder as the day grew on in Tokyo, Japan. Cars weaved through the damp roadside illuminated a glowing orange from the streetlights, and the pedestrians were rushing as some raised their arms over their heads, some fingers coiled tightly around the stick of their umbrellas. The bright lights of the city made the rain shimmer beneath the dark, starless skies as the droplets splattered against the pavements and glass of the towering buildings. It hardly rained in Tokyo during the warm weather but when it did it had always meant to the residents that it would last until the next day or two. Some even called it bad luck because it made the clouds swirl silver into the dark gray sky, concealing the dim pale white moon.

Under the chaos of the drizzling and pouring weather, two young girls were sprinting across the sidewalks, knocking other children nearby as they expertly and speedily weaved through the heavy crowd of people. None of the girls had an umbrella on them, the droplets rolling across their skin and dampening their clothes and hair. Their faces were flushed an exhausted red and they breathed heavily as puffs of smoke could be seen through their mouth and nose as they stomped their feet forcibly into the rough gravel. The girls long, slender legs sped faster and faster until some people called out to them and ordered them to slow down or else; an occasional empty threat from an annoyed pedestrian.

One of the girls slowed her pace slightly and side-eyed the girl adjacent to her, "Rowan, are you sure your parents are even there?" she asked with a mixture of genuine curiosity but irritably could be detected underneath her smooth and rich voice. "They're probably at your—"

"Jewel, shut up." the other girl snapped in a harsh tone, giving the girl a vivid glare, "My parents and James aren't home, that's for sure. Some stranger called me from the hospital, for fuck's sake! So stop yammering and fucking move those legs before I snap them like twigs." she ended on a threatening note, quickening her rapid pace as the other girl soon followed after her, but she glared at the back of her head with a murderous glint in her eyes.

The young girl with the murderous eyes had rich brown skin, dampened as it shimmered under the bright lights slivering from the streetlamps above. She wore a pair of black leggings that seemed to broaden her lithe and slender legs, a dark camisole hung loosely from her lithe frame and a jean jacket wrapped across her petite waist and a pair of silvery white Ugg boots. Her long raven black hair trailed down her back, sticking to her dark skin like glue as it grew wet from the heavy flow of rain. Her bluish black eyes, speckled with tiny flakes of a darker brown swirling in them, were glazing with a mixture of worry and apprehension. Her sharp yet soft features were tightened, revealing her impatience and worry as her lips set into a deep snarl. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I'm just nervous...and a little bit hungry." Jewel King replied and her friend shot her with an irritated glare.

A vibrate contrast of Jewel's skin, hers was pale as snow, glowing too under the bright lights. Her long, velvety scarlet hair clung to her cheeks, slick with a mixture of sweat and rain water, and she withheld a shudder as the wind spiked her snowy white skin, goosebumps blistering across her flesh. She had on a pair of black Adidas, dark blue jeans that looked baggy on her lean and svelte legs, added a white polo t-shirt. Her golden bracelets made a clinking kind of noise the more she moved her skinny arms as she ran faster than she ever did in her short ten years of life. Icy blue eyes glassy with sheen of tears were looking straight forward, her own American features tensed as bottom lip trembled. "I'm nervous too, Jewel. But that doesn't means we have to listen to whatever bullshit they spew on us." Rowan Fox retorted and increased her speed with Jewel following suit.

Minutes later, the 10-year-old girls reached the local hospital and hurried inside. The reception area reeked of lemons and pine trees, phones ringing in the air as visitors and family waited in the chairs. Doctors rushed in and out of the room with the nurses trailing behind them, patients being hauled into the E.R. in gurneys. All ignored the young girls as they pushed the double doors opened and ventured nearby the desk near one of the receptionists. Jewel's hand raked through her damp raven tresses, water splattering onto the squeaky clean floors as Rowan walked up to the information desk. The woman behind the desk looked up from her paper thin computer and glanced at the scarlet haired girl with mild interest but said nothing. "Somebody told me that my parents were involved in a car accident. Can you please tell me where they are now?" Rowan asked in Japanese and the woman nodded once, pointing to the hall adjacent from her desk. "That's where you're gonna find them, child. Doctor King should be performing surgery shortly." she answered in Japanese.