the accidental wrong number selfie

"Here's your new phone, Beth.  Happy eighteenth!" 

She hated that nickname.  She couldn't stand it.  It made her sound like some old person, which she really doesn't want.

Her name was simply Elissabeth.  Not 'Elizabeth', but just simply, 'Elissabeth'.  Her parents thought it was unique and clever, which it was, but she couldn't stand that horrifying nickname her mother gave her.  However, most people thought it was too much to say her full name, so pretty much everyone stuck with the dreaded 'Beth'. 

"Thanks mom, I'll probably get into it later, since I'm moving boxes and working a shift at the shop."

Beth worked at her moms bake shop.  It was pretty popular where she lived.  It was no 'Carlos Bake Shop', but the treats there were to die for.  Beth had a pretty steady set of hands.  She designed many cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and many more.  She has worked there since it has been opened, since she was twelve years old.  At first, it was just giving people their orders, but now, she's usually the one who closes up the shop and designs most treats.

"Thanks honey.  Watch over the old place." Her mother smiled, before walking out.

Beth didn't mind working at the shop.  Sure, sometimes she stays late, completing orders, but who doesn't at bake shops?  The locals knew who she was, since she was always there.  She even came up with the clever title: 'Dream Puffs'.

Beth also just bought her new apartment, finally moving on her own.  You see, her birthday was actually five days ago, but her phone just came in, since her mom ordered it. 

Beth locked up the shops and turned off the lights, absolutely exhausted.  Some idiot requested 200 cupcakes with all different designs two days ago, needing them tomorrow.  That's so annoying. 

\\

Beth finally got a hold of her new phone, which already had a phone case of her liking, thanks mom.  She typed in her friend Paige's number, having it memorized.  She took a selfie with her tongue sticking out and sent the selfie in a text.  She opened her apartment door, only to be surprised by her closest friends.

She jumped in shock, eyes wide.  Her friends started laughing, while her boyfriend, Tyler, walked up to her, giving her a hug and  a kiss on the cheek.  She smiled and set her stuff down and looked her friend, Paige.  

"Did you get my text?" She said, smiling.

"No?  Didn't you get a new phone?" 

"Yeah, I sent you a selfie." Beth laughed.

"Oh.  I never got it." 

Beth furrowed her eyebrows, in confusion, but waved it off.  

She looked around, noticing her mom was there, too.  She went to her mom and thanked her.  However, she didn't see her dad.  She sighed and went to her bedroom to change.  Her dad's always out of town, but he makes it home sometimes.  He's just gone frequently.  

She also noticed that all of the boxes that were around the house were unpacked.  She smiled and clapped her hands.  Unpacking is a chore.  She set her phone down, on her bed, not wanting to pay attention to it while she had company.  There was a knock on her bedroom door.  She opened it to see her dad.

"You didn't think I would miss your eighteenth surprise party, did you?" Her dad smiled, arms wide open with a hug.

\\