Chapter Thirty Seven

MADISON

When we enter the house after the ceremony I am surprised to see that everyone is back. They are all reunited around the big table of the dining room that is now full of papers. There's Wen's lawyer: Chance Foley; Wen, Dr. Vanderbilt and my father on one side of the big rectangle and in the other my mother and Clarisse Blanchard. As soon as they notice our presence they close their folders and stop talking. It's when my mother turns around that the blood leaves my body.

Her look is broken and hopelessness fills her face along with worry. On the other hand, there's Wen who is smiling broadly and seems satisfied. This can't be good.

I am not even capable of asking what happened because the answer definitely doesn't need words. I feel a hand on my shoulder but I shrug it away. I don't need anyone telling me everything is going to be fine when clearly it's the opposite.

"Congratulations!" says Clarisse standing up and giving Levy and me a hug. I don't say anything compared to Levy who without trouble begins telling her about the ceremony. My mother comes to me.

"Congratulations honey," she says, giving me a strong hug. When she lets go, her eyes are drowning in tears.

"How did it go?" I ask in a whisper and she forces me a smile.

"Everything is fine," she says and I raise my brows.

"If everything is fine then why does it seem like someone died?" I reply.

"We'll talk about it tomorrow, today has to be a wonderful day," she says trying to sound cheerful but her attempt is in vain because her voice breaks at the end.

"We will finish tomorrow then," Wen says from the table while they begin to pick up all the papers and for the first time in my life I see my mother rolling her eyes.

The rest of the day I spend it replaying the scene in my mind. Especially my mother's words. If everything is fine then why did her voice break? If everything is fine then why did she look so worried? If everything is fine then what is it that we are talking about tomorrow? Nothing makes sense. The only thing that's certain is that we lost the case and therefore Alison. That's the only thing that could explain what is going on here and if it is... then nothing is fine.

"Do you need help?" says my mother. She is standing at my bedroom's door. How long has she been there?

Over the dressing table I have all my makeup on display like I am putting it for sale. "Sure" She smiles entering.

First she helps me out with my hair, and ends up combing it up in a pretty hairstyle. Then she begins to do my makeup. "You are not seeing until I am done with you," she says, trying to excite me as she turns me away from the mirror. "You know, this is one of the many reasons I always wanted to have a daughter."

"So you could play dolls?" I reply with my eyes close as she applies eyeshadow. "Maybe later we could cut each other's hair" I joke and she lets out a small laugh. Then I feel something wet and cold on my eyelid, eyeliner. I almost never use it becauseit makes my eyes bigger than they already are.

"Never mess with a girl's hair," she replies to my joke making me laugh. I feel her working now on the rest of my face, especially on my cheeks. "You're ready." I open my eyes for her to put on some mascara and then she turns me around so that I can finally see myself, and when I do so, It is nothing like I expected.

I certainly look like me, but at the same time it's like I am a completely different Madison. Beautiful and radiant.

One that I've never seen.

EDITED BY: JadeFoliage .

THE RESULT FOR THE TRIAL IS HERE. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT? WHAT DO YOU THINK IS ACTUALLY GOING ON? DO YOU THINK MADISON'S GUESS IS RIGHT?

MAKE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW AND VOTE IF YOU LIKE IT!

Read you later.

-MF. Hernandez

Next Chapter: February 8th, 2019.