Chapter Twenty Two

MADISON

She cries. For the fifth time this day. Honestly, I think my head is going to blow up at any moment if I hear her cry for another second. My stress is about to make me collapse.

I like children and as anyone who does, the fact that they are so occurrent fascinates me. But tantrums are something I cannot deal with. Now picture this, if a child has never thrown a fit in her entire life, the moment she lets out the first one, she would let out all of the accumulation.

"That's enough Alison!" I shout over her own cries and the TV's volume.

"I want chocolate!" she demands.

"I told you that you had to eat something and you didn't. There's no chocolate for you!" I scold, pointing at the kitchen's bar where her meal sits untouched.

"I don't want to!" she whines. Her face is red from all the effort of crying.

"I don't care!" I shout in return. I don't think this is going to lead anywhere but it is impossible to stay calm at her sudden rebellion. "I don't want to keep listening to you and surprise! No one is getting what we want."

"I don't love you!"

"That breaks my heart," I say with sarcasm without looking at her.

"I hate you!" she shouts once more and that's all I can take.

"You know what? I am sick of you." I stand up taking her from her wrist and pull her to the bedroom. "You are going to take a cold bath and that will give you a good reason to hate me!"

We get to the bathroom and I release her wrist to open the faucet of the bath to make it seem like I mean what I said. She runs back to the bedroom. I turn off the tap and find her behind the bed, using it as a shield. "I don't want water," she says trying to calm down and I sigh smiling on the inside because it actually worked. Why didn't I try it before?

"No more tantrums. Is it clear?" I say crossing my arms and she just stares at me. "The next time there's going to be lots of water and injections. Is that what you want?" This time she shakes her head.

Someone calls at the door.

"I will be good," she sobs.

Another knock.

"I hope so," I say before going to open the door.

I find Dylan with flowers in one hand and a milkshake in the other that I almost try to get rid of because of what chocolate made went through just seconds ago. "Milkshake!" Alison shouts running to take it from his hand. Without hesitation, Dylan gives it to her and that makes her disappear into the bedroom.

"I knew she would love it," he says satisfied.

"You can't imagine," I reply noticing the presence of a woman next to him.

"Hello, Madison. My name is Veronica," she says offering me her hand. I look at Dylan who just stares at the flowers and then I look at her. "I am Dylan's cousin." Oh. I smile, nervous at the fact that he brought a family member and I shake her hand letting them in.

"Are you okay?" I ask him who instead of answering just hands me the flowers.

"I was thinking that... if you wanted... I mean... if you want," he says like he had it rehearsed. He is nervous and that melts my heart; he looks like a child. I never thought I would get to see him this way... so nervous. I really thought he was just like the rest of his type, of those that don't get nervous while asking someone out and do it so spontaneously. With his self-esteem and his body, I never imagined this.

"Yeah?" I smile to press him and until then he looks at me and smiles.

"Do you want to hang out?" he asks quickly and I frown like if I needed to think about it.

"Where to?" I ask, amused and he gulps.

"Santa Monica. I could teach you some surf, you know... walk on the beach... watch the sunset... perhaps going to the fair." I smile even when he is not able to look at me in the eyes. It's funny to see him this way. Amazing, even. "Ronnie could take care of Alison. That way there's going to be just you and me... and the beach."

"And the tourists..." I add enjoying it and that makes him beg with his look. "I would love to, but it's not Alison's best day... she won't stop with the tantrums."

"She-"

"I am very good with children," her cousin interrupts finally coming closer to us after being observing the whole place. "I guarantee you that she's going to be fine with me." I bite my lip. Santa Monica sounds amazing but I don't want to leave Alison with a stranger.

It's not a stranger if it's Dylan's family. My mind contradicts my instincts. You need to relax and the poor guy seems like he's going to have a nervous breakdown if you say no.