Chapter Thirty One

MADISON

Wen stands up, sure of himself and climbs up to the podium guided by the guard. When he notices my presence in the room, he smiles. I am not sure if it is indeed a smile for me but it feels so personal.

"Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?" asks again the guard.

Wen nods. "I swear."

"Tell your name and age for the record and take a seat."

"My name is Wen Hoffman, I'm forty seven years old."

Clarisse is the one who questions him and by her look and posture I can tell that she is more than prepared. "Dr. Hoffman, can you describe to us the creation of Alison, please" says Clarisse.

"Of course. First we examined Madison's situation to understand what had failed her, and why. That was to be sure we wouldn't make the same mistake with the new child. We took a sample of Madison's DNA and then analyzed the embryos we had previously froze to then select the best and the strongest. We then proceeded to compare and modify the DNA of the embryo with Madison's and make it genetically identical to hers.

"You cloned her?"

"It is a similar genetic code but it was improved. She was not cloned."

"What do you mean by 'improved'?"

"Madison has the ordinary immune system of any normal person. She can get sick and present allergies. During the test that failed on her we were trying to give her complete immunity but it didn't work out the way it should have. In Alison, we changed that part of her, so she is immune to any kind of disease. Thanks to that she didn't get sick when getting in contact with the millions of parasites in the exterior."

"Was there a specific reason for you to have made them genetically identical to each other?" Clarisse asks and he nods.

"We did it so that we could have a compatible donor in case we needed it for the child, just as a precaution," he replies. I frown.

"What does that mean?" she asks reading my mind.

"It means that in case Alison needs a donor we have Madison here to help with no problem. They are one hundred percent compatible so that anything we could need, Madison is able to provide it and save the child."

His words hit me like a truck.

"Like she's just an organ incubator," Clarisse concludes, and I gulp.

"That is a harsh thing to call her. We prefer saying that Madison has the potential to save Alison's life," he says, and winks at me. Dylan holds my hand but instantly I pull it away. I don't need his pity. I need to hear the truth. About everything. I receive several curious looks from others to which I do my best trying to remain composed.

"According to Dr. Vanderbilt, your laboratory tests resistance. Is that true?" She changes the subject and finally that takes his look away from mine.

"That is right."

"Do you test Alison's resistance to diseases?"

"No."

"Then what tests are performed on the girl?"

"Her physical resistance and reactions to specific 'environments' or situations that we create for her. In order to help common people to overcome different situations that could jeopardize their lives." He answers like he had it rehearsed from a manual.

"Seems wonderful," she says, "but is it?"

"Absolutely."

"Can you explain to us what does a 'Constant Test' means?" He looks serious at her before he gulps and thinks for a moment.