Chapter Thirty

MADISON

"The court calls Madison Wrestler to the podium," the same guard from a little more than ten witnesses calls another person while I just stare at the lines of my hands that seem to be sweating.

"Madison, it's your turn," Levy whispers and I freeze. I feel how my blood leaves my body leaving me frozen. I can almost feel how I freeze on the inside. "Madison you need to go," he whispers again and I force myself to stand up getting the feeling that I am going to throw up again.

Another guard guides me to the podium and once there the man that called my name makes the same question he has asked hundreds of times. "Raise your hand." I obey and hope no one realizes I am shivering even when I notice it isn't actually moving. "Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?" Unconsciously my look searches for my mother and I gulp. Both, she and Clarisse nod.

"I swear," I reply with no other option.

"Tell your name and age for the record and take a seat."

"My name is Madison Wrestler, and I'm nineteen years old," I gulp and then sit down. My mind begins to wander. What would happen if I pass out with the first question?

"Miss Wrestler, would you mind telling us how you found out about your particular past?" asks Wen's lawyer, Mr. Chance Foley. He is so close now that I can finally see his eye's color; a deep black. He must be older than sixty.

"I heard a conversation of my parents with Dr. Hoffman," I reply with my voice shivering.

"Before that, did you know anything about your parents' job?" I hesitate on what to reply.

"No." It sounds more like a question.

"You didn't? You never asked?"

"I did since I can remember."

"What did they tell you?"

"Nothing," I reply remembering all those moments that I tried.

"Did you know the child?"

"No."

"Before you took her with you. You'd never seen her?" I look at my mother who remains unexpressive. What am I supposed to say? That I did? That she let me get into the lab?

"I heard her," I reply instead.

"What did you hear?"

"The girl, she was crying."

"Did you ever hear her before?"

"No."

"What did you do when you heard her crying?"

"I just asked who she was."

"To your mother?"

"Yes."

"Did she reply?"

"Yes. She told me about her."

"Did she show you the girl?" I look at her once more and find her staring at the floor. What would happen if I lie? I find the lawyer's eyes again and when he notices that he raises his eyebrows pushing me to reply.

"Yes" I say and he smiles proudly. This can't be good.

"What happened when you found out about your past?"

"Objection your Honor," Clarisse interrupts this time.

"Accepted, lawyer be accurate."

"Yes your Honor," he replies just like she would have done. "When you found out that you and the child were alike. Did you want to take her out?"