Chapter Thirty One

Start bij het begin

"A test that is done periodically in order to track the progress or recoil of the child to it."

"At what age do these Constant Tests begin?"

"It depends on the test and the specific traits of the child."

"Could you please tell us at what age did you start with this kind of tests on Alison?" she asks and he bites his lip before replying.

"When she was one year old."

"We have retained several copies of the Constant Test that is periodically performed on Alison," says Clarisse taking some yellow folders from the table to give one to the judge and the other to Wen. He gulps and looks at the folder just like the judge does. "Can you explain, in your own words, the nature of this test to all of us?"

"The girl is introduced to a bathtub." His answer gets back my attention instantly when I remember Alison's terrible fear to the water.

"Do you give her a bath?" He lets out a little snort in reply to her question that makes him smile and finally close the folder.

"No Clarisse. We do not give her a bath."

"What is it that the girl is expected to do then?"

"She must remain under the water," he replies.

"Does she has any kind of oxygen tank that allows her to stay that way?"

"You are excellent in your job," Wen evades the question. That could not be a good sign.

"Dr. Hoffman, does the girl have anything to help her breathe under water during that period?" she repeats the question.

"No lawyer, she doesn't." I run out of air and suddenly I want to cry or scream. Even the judge looks surprised now and reviews the pages in front of him. I notice how suddenly all the security Wen had before has disappeared in a blast. I could swear his blood left his body leaving him pale.

"How much time does she needs to stay that way?"

"As much as her body resists."

"Without breathing?"

"Without breathing."

"And you wait for her to drown and take her out?"

"We have to push her body to its limits to show results. But we make sure to take her out before there could be any serious damage."

"Is she monitored during the time that she stays under water?"

"She is. We have at least ten people in the test room ready to take action in case something goes awry."

"Has she ever been affected by this specific trial?"

"Yes. Even with all of the people involved, it is impossible to predict exactly how her body would react."

"You needed to drain water from her lung once, right?"

"Yes, we had to."

"How old was she when that happened?"

"Four."

"And you repeated the test?" he nods. "How long after that?"

"A month, once we were sure she was fully recovered."

"As soon as she recovered you made her go through the same thing again?" she says feigning surprise.

"Timing is crucial.We cannot allow us to lose more time than necessary between each test."

"How often do you repeat this test?"

"Every four months."

"Does the girl has any problem with it?"

"She obeys."

"I am not asking that Dr. Hoffman. Has the girl developed any signs of trauma, disorders, or other problems when it comes to water?"

"She obviously doesn't like it."

"Do you believe it's really necessary to make her go through all of that, Dr. Hoffman?"

"Objection your honor!" Interrupts Mr. Foley right before Wen itself interrupts him.

"That's the question I've been waiting for the whole time. Actually, would like to answer, your Honor, if you permit me to" Wen says. The judge raises his eyebrows but accepts his request. "That's the problem with all of you who don't understand what we really do. They are children, no one is denying that. They feel, of course they do, they are humans. But as my dear Georgina said a moment ago, it's impossible for them to ask for something they have never come to know. You need to stop thinking of them as you think of your own children. If we do that then of course what we do is awful, but they are different.

"We never nurtured Alison when she was a baby or lull her to fall asleep. We don't hug her or tell her we love her. We don't sing to her or explain to her anything and believe me when I say that has helped her to cope with our trials. We don't do it because we want her to suffer. We do it because it is what she knows and she won't want anything else because she has never heard of it. Spoiling these children the way you spoil an ordinary child, then letting these endure these tests would be cruel. It's like giving them a gift and taking it away the moment they open it, " he says raising the folder and looking straight to my mother, "that's what happened with Madison, what she was forced to went through. That's what made it cruel, that's why the Centre opted to release her. But I am sure as hell it is not the same way with Alison and you are not justified to judge her situation by comparing it with Madison's case. They are completely different."

My heart aches when the room falls in complete silence. Is he right about that? That's what makes it cruel? The fact that we aren't thinking outside the box? Of course it's terrible anyway because no one deserves that...but I think he has a point.

"Do you believe that?" says Levy, incredulous. I look at him frowning and tears fall from my eyes.

"I..." I try to say before getting interrupted by the guard asking us to stand up again.

"This is a very peculiar situation and it's something that is difficult to resolve, especially with the number of parties involved, all with their own intentions.. Therefore, we need to have a better perspective. I am assigning a children's psychologist that will visit the girl tomorrow to assess her normal behavior. To avoid any psychological pressure on the girl before said visit, the contact with her will be extremely limited, which means the lab permits will be temporarily suspended," the judge says. "Therefore, contact with Alison is fully prohibited, regardless of reason, place, time, or person. Likewise, to be sure this takes place, a guard will be assigned to ensure the child's security. Do I make myself clear?" We all nod. "Based on the testimonies presented today and the information that will be obtained from the child, I will be declaring my verdict by the end of the week. You are dismissed."

EDITED BY: JadeFoliage

THAT'S ALL FOR TODAY YOU GUYS, I HOPE YOU LIKED IT! WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE TRIAL? WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO WIN THE CASE? WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN NEXT?

MAKE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW AND VOTE IF YOU LIKED IT!

Read you later.

-MF. Hernandez

Next Chapter: December 28th, 2018.