before he fell...

***** Chapter 4 *****

Biglang binagalan ni Leo ang paglalakad nang mapansin agad ang biglaang pagbagal ng paglalakad ng amo. Sumunod naman ang mga security sa likod at binagalan din ang paglalakad in that domino effect.

Alden was not aware at the pace of his walk. Basta nahagilap lang ng mga mata niya si Dei na naghihintay sa tapat ng elevator para sa mga empleyado, bigla na lang bumagal ang paligid niya.

It was hilarious how he quickly snapped out of it and fast-walked the entire way towards the VIP elevator. 

"Don't come in," utos niya kina Leo at agad na isinara ang elevator.

The look on his men exactly portrayed the confusion on his face.   

Get a hold of yourself, A. Saway niya sa sarili. Ngayon ka pa ba aaktong nagbibinata when you're already 32?!

The twins followed the passing presence of their CEO in front of them and frowned. The doors closed a minute after. But it quickly opened and Alden's head popped out.

"If a Director's secretary comes here, lead her to my office."

The twins immediately knew who it was. Si Jhake lang naman ang may babaeng secretary sa buong kompanya. 

*****

Frowning has been a prominent feature on Alden's face whenever he's working. He's frowning while reading. He's frowning while taking a rest on his chair. He's frowning while answering a phone call.

"Miss Dei is here, Mr. A," dinig niyang sabi ni Sofia sa kabilang linya ng telepono.

A smile suddenly formed on his lips. "Let her in."

The moment he noticed the door slowly opening a minute after, he was once again confronted by his nervousness. Kaya napatingin siya uli sa hawak na papeles at pinakalma ang sarili. 

It's really a wonder to him how such a tiny girl could agitate him like this.

Tinignan niya muli ang bagong dating. She looked more nervous observing his office like a lost puppy. She seemed to have loss hope. Para bang handa na ito na tanggapin ang ipapataw na kamatayan dito.

He wanted to laugh. Saan ka ba nakarinig ng taong pinatawan ng kamatayan dahil lang sa sumakay ito sa isang privilege elevator? 

Her expression was too much, almost comical. He now wanted to give her a good scare. 

Jhake, your secretary's going to return with a frightened heart.

*****

When he was sure that he had marked a strong impression on Dei, he let her go. 

"I hope this will never happen again from you," he told her.

Honestly, he did not expect himself to act this petty. She came her to apologize and all he did was to scare the shit out of her.

He was used to people getting nervous in his presence, not the other way. So when this girl came around and messed his inner thoughts, it unnerved him. So he wanted to do the same to her. 

But what was even surprising to him was that she handled him well. Even Kris and Jhake, his childhood friends, would not dare to retort if he's mad.

Or even dare to look at me straight in the eyes...

"No sir. Definitely. You are not firing me?"

His jaws clenched. "Do you want to get fired?"

"No, Mr. A!"

"Then get back to work."

He couldn't wait for her to get out of his office as he started to realize that Dei was starting to be a risk for him. But as he watched her reached his door to leave with such a sweet smile and hopeful eyes, another realization hit him.

I can't let go of her yet.

His mind ran of things he could do to stop her from going back to Jhake. But his honor will not allow him to act on it because it wasn't the right thing to do. 

Kaya naman parang may gyera sa isip ni Alden habang pinapanood si Dei na pabukas na ng pinto ng opisina niya.

"Hindi ka man lang ba magthe-thank you?!" he hopelessly uttered as his last resort.

Laking gulat na lang ni Alden nang bigla itong humarap sa kanya at sumayaw. He didn't even breath as he watched her clumsily shaking her hips. At may pa-bunos pa na heart-shape at flying kiss para sa kanya nang matapos ang pagsayaw nito.

"Thank you, Mr. A. Una na po ako."

 Umalingawngaw sa buong opisina ang pagsara ng pinto sa pag-alis ni Dei. But Alden was still replaying the scene of Dei suddenly dancing as if she's still in front of him.

Napangiti na lang siya ng di sinasadya sabay ipinilig ang ulo. 

He came to realize his fascination with her on their third meeting. 

Never did he realize that the moment he will meet her again, the fourth time, she will become his fiancee.

*****