Fourteen

Enjoy!

*****

Kunot-noong tinignan ni Jhake ang kuha ng CCTV kagabi sa loob ng security room. Kristoffer was standing behind him, arms folded, and looks unconcerned. Kahit na nakita nila ang mukha ng babae na lumabas mula sa opisina ni Alden.

"Dei..." Jhake whispered in a breathy tone after he confirmed his suspicion about last night.

He zoomed in the image of the monitor and it showed the face of his beloved secretary looking fresh from a bath.

Kris watched his facial expression turning to grim before he decided to speak out. "Jhake, what's your relationship with Miss Dei?"

Jhake turned around on his seat and glared at Kris. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged. "Do you have feelings for the lady?"

Jhake frowned.

"Do you love her?"

Hindi agad siya makapagsalita.

Jhake never looked this confuse before. He's too smart to go dumb about what Kristoffer was trying to imply. Yet, he couldn't find an answer to a question that only requires a Yes or a No.

Biglang nilagay ni Kristoffer ang dalawang kamay sa magkabilang balikat niya at hinawakan siya ng mahigpit. "Payong kaibigan lang, Jhake. You can't have her. Someone wants her already."

By that, Jhake could already guess who that someone is....

*****

Almost three years ago, when Jhake lost any reason to smile, Dei came in his office in a striking yellow blouse and a peach skirt. That moment, he was more interested on the application form on his hand than the girl itself.

"You are an intern from the Marketing Department here?" He looked at her, who was seating nervously in front him, with an inquiring look.

She nodded. "My internship is ending soon, sir. I need to secure myself a job by then."

"You know you are still not cut out to be my secretary, right? You have no experience in this position."

"I have no experience of being a college student after finishing highschool, yet here I am, sir. I survived the business course, graduated with flying colors, and is currently an intern in a high profile company."

The inquiring look on Jhake's eyes was slowly morphing to interest.

"Miss Dei..." He checked her complete name on the application form and scoffed. "Mise? Demise?"

"Yep. That's me. Nothing new there... my name... your reaction..." Her voice was slowly diminishing as she started to notice her sarcasm tone. "I am used to it, sir."

Jhake cleared the laugh that started to form on his throat before he asked her job on the marketing. But the amusement on his face immediately washed out when he saw his phone, lying on his desk, lit up with a very familiar number.

He tried to ignore the call and continued to interview Ms. Dei. But the vibration of the phone buzzing on his wooden desk was distracting him. Panay ang tingin niya sa caller at napansin iyon ni Dei.

"Sir?" she moved her upper self forward while remained seated on her chair. "Do you want an honest secretary?"

"I value honesty more than anything, Ms. Dei." He totally looked uncomfortable while throwing furtive glances on his phone.