Thirty-One

*****

Miss me? :)

Nagulat ako pagbukas ng twitter ko kanina ang daming nagrecommend sa'kin at sa kuwentong ito. As my welcome, tanggapin niyo po sana ang update na 'to. Thank you for tagging me as your fave author. Nakakataba po ng puso kasi - let's be honest - I can't always please you all. 

Enjoy!

*****

His answer definitely caught Dei by surprise. He waited for her response but after sensing that she's not going to have any, he sighed.

"You can rely on me, Dei. Our marriage is going to be real. I will be your legal husband and it will be my responsibility to take care of you."

"Thank you but..." she looked at her fingers which were fiddling the strap of her bag, "My mother's a good person-"

"My mother is a good person. I am still questioning your mother's character. That's why I'm asking; I am worried."

"You don't have to, really," her lips were quivering that she has to bite it to keep her emotions at bay.

"Don't think I don't have eyes to see and analyze things around me, Dei," he carefully scanned her expression for any hint but she kept on showing that uncomfortable look. "It's probably because of your mother that's why you agreed on this marriage. What's the catch?"

She remained quiet again and Alden knew he had crossed the line. He didn't press his questions any further and just looked ahead.

"I will wait..." sabi na lang niya at pinaandar muli ang sasakyan papunta sa nakareserbang restaurant.

*****

Thankfully, Alden did not ask that question again on the following days they were together. She couldn't bring herself to tell him about that part of her, not because she's afraid but because she's ashamed. Pakiramdam niya, telling him about her and her mother was like baring her soul for him—para siyang hinubaran and that feeling was too foreign for her now.

Gathering her composure back, she stepped into Jhake's office and found her boss spaced out again.

"Jhake!" she called. She sighed when he couldn't hear her again kahit na nasa harapan na siya ng mesa nito. "Jhake, are you okay?"

Ilang araw na din ito na parang lutang sa sarili. Like always, whenever he snap out of his thoughts, he would just smile at her. "What is it, Dei?"

Inilapag niya ang hawak na white folder sa mesa nito. "Paki-pirma at ibibigay ko 'to ngayon sa Sales."

Kinuha ni Jhake ang folder at binasa ang mga papeles na laman bago pinirmahan.

"Here."

Kinuha ni Dei ang folder mula dito nang hindi pinuputol ang tingin. "Are you sure you're okay, Jhake?"

"I'm fine, don't worry." He tried to hide his sadness with a smile. "Kamusta nga pala ang wedding preparation niyo?"

"Nakakapagod. May wedding planner naman pero parang ako lagi ang nagdedesisyon...?" she sighed. "Barbie said brides should always have the last say on everything concerning the wedding. Eh, wala naman akong alam sa pagpaplano ng kasal..."