Sixty-Eight

After a couple of sips from their drinks and wasted minutes of awkward silence in that corner table inside a coffee shop, Margaret finally got the courage to be honest to her son-in-law.

"I have cancer... pancreatic cancer," she said, almost like a whisper. The wig on her head and the jacket over her hospital gown masked the reality of her condition.

Alden did not bother to look like he had anything to say so she continued. "May tanan na ang buhay ko, hijo. A month, two months, or I might not have a month to live at all..."

Alden still remained silent as he continued to observe the expression passing over Margaret. She has that look of a mother that cared for her dear daughter.

"Alagaan mo sana ng maayos ang anak ko," she lifted her face to look at him with plea. "Ikaw na lang ang matitirang pamilya nu'n. I trust you to make her happy despite the fact na pinilit namin kayo magpakasal-"

"I love her, Margaret. I truly love her," he finally responded. "But no matter how much I love her... it doesn't guarantee that it will always make her happy. You can also make her happy even with the little time you have left."

Umiling ito. "Ipangako mo, hindi mo sasabihin kay Dei ang sakit ko?"

"I will not promise that," he frowned. "She loves you so much-"

Umiling na naman ito.

"You're on borrowed time, Margaret. Shouldn't you take this chance to create happy memories with your daughter?"

"Mas lalo lang mangungulila niyan si Dei."

"Is this the way you want your daughter to remember you?" he clenched his fist under the table. "You blame Dei for the death of her father, you force her to marry a stranger, and now you're leaving her as if you did not cause distress to her life? I can see that you love your daughter, Margaret. Let her know while you still can. I know, it will mean the world to Dei..."

Maragaret quickly shifted her attention towards the view on the window and held her tears from falling. Mula ng mamatay ang asawa niya, ibinuhos niya lahat ng atensyon sa pagtatrabaho para masustentuhan si Dei at ang pag-aaral nito hanggang kolehiyo. She wanted her daughter to have a secure future. She wanted her to choose a high paying job. She wanted nothing in life but for Dei to lead a stable life. Hindi sapat ang pagiging sekretarya nito. Kaya nang malaman niya ang tungkol sa sariling sakit na cancer, hindi siya nag-atubili na kausapin ang pamilya Faulkerson.

Amelia supported all her cancer treatments but her condition isn't improving even after a year. Kaya naman bumalik siya kay Dei and had to resort with that 'force marriage' to Alden. She had the chance to improve her daughter's status in life and she took it even at the expense of making her daughter feels bad.

Sa totoo lang, marami siya gustong ihingi ng tawad sa anak. She just couldn't have the courage to admit it right on her face...

*****

"Uy, bente!" Tuwang-tuwa na kinuha ni Dei ang pera mula sa sahig ng lobby at ibubulsa na sana kundi lang may pumigil sa kanya.

"Ate, masama iyan!" Nakasamingot na sabi ng babae'ng naka-pink dress.

Dei quickly recognized the face as an intern...

"Ibigay mo iyan dun sa receptionist at baka may maghanap na may-ari."

"Wala naman maghahanap nito unless may nakasulat na pangalan ng may-ari..." she smiled and flipped the twenty peso bill to look for a name. "Sa'yo ba ito?"