Seventy-two

Masayang tinignan ni Dei ang magkahawak na kamay nila ng ina. Their hands were swinging back and forth in contentment while they walked towards the tomb of Mr. Mise, with a satisfying smile.

"Ito ang unang pagkakataon na magkasama tayong dumalaw sa papa mo, Dei..."

Tumango lang si Dei at magiliw na isinandal ang ulo sa balikat ng ina. Hindi niya maialis sa isipan na dadating ang araw na sasama na din sa papa niya ang mama.

"May naisip na ba kayong ipapangalan sa apo ko?"

She chuckled. "Ayaw ni Alden ng Tuba Faulkerson..."

Margaret laughed. "Lalaki ba 'yan?"

Her smile brightened when she remembered Alden's face while watching her sonogram result. "Lalaki at babae, ma. Kambal."

*****

Nagkasundo ang tatlong magkaibigan na sina Alden, Kris, at Jhake na ipagdiwang ang pagiging ama sa kambal ni Alden nang gabing 'yon. Pero imbes na sa usual bar sila pumunta para mag-inuman, sa ibang lugar sila dinala ni Alden.

As soon as Kris noticed the familar street and the blue house, his mouth formed into an O. "No..."

"They have the best liquor in the country." Alden proudly stated as soon as he parked the car at the side of the street. "Labas na kayo."

Jhake was confused at Kris reaction when they stepped out of Alden's car. He was meaning to ask him why but Alden already dragged them towards a small store with neighborly men. Later did he know, this night would put them in a troublesome situation.

"Oh, andito na naman ang may-ari ng mundo! Halika! May tuba at lambanog pa kami!!" sigaw ni Mang Cardo sa tatlong bisita.

*****

Kinabukasan, parang mga tuta na nakaupo sa harap ng mesa sina Alden, Kris, at Jhake habang kaharap ang mga kapares nila sa buhay. Dei kept tapping her fingers on the hardwood. Bea was throwing deadly glares at their faces. Barbie looked like she was ready to pluck their eyes out of their sockets. Kung may buntot lang ang tatlong magkaibigan, malamang nakalibing na ito sa lupa out of guilt.

Kabilin-bilinan kasi nina Dei, Bea, at Barbie na huwag maglasing. Pero dahil masarap ka-inuman ang mga kasamahan nila kagabi, they forgot.

"Bakit ba kasi kailangan maglasing ulit?" Dei gritted her teeth as she spoke.

"It was my first time, Dei. Hindi ko inakala na matapang pala ang lasang juice na 'yon."

"I'm not asking you, Jhake. Si Alden."

Alden lowered himself on his seat as he maintained his silence.

"He said he's going to name his kids as Tuba at Lambanog," pag-amin ni Kris, na mas lalong nagpahamak kay Alden.

"Wala kang Christmas bonus sa'kin!" Alden angrily whispered at him. With matching finger-point pa, that soon curled down into a curve the moment he saw his wife's face.

"Dei..."

"Alam niyo ba kung gaano kayo kahirap alagaan kagabi? Buti talaga andito sina Nurse Bea at Barbie. Kundi baka makunan ako sa konsumisyon sa inyong tatlo!"

Alden immediately grabbed his wife's hands and held it tightly upon hearing her words. "I swear, I will never get drunk again, Dei. OR EVEN go closer to those drinks. I'm sorry..."

Napangiti ng kaunti dito si Dei. What she said was a bit exaggerated and she felt sorry for him after saying that. But that doesn't mean it's fine for him to get drunk out of his wits from now on. Marami pa rin ang namamatay sa kalasingan...

"Huwag mo na uulitin 'to. Be a responsible drinker, Alden. Magiging ama ka na." Tumango agad si Alden and Dei couldn't help but smile at his cuteness.

After seeing this, sinunod ito ni Jhake at hinawakan si Barbie ng mahigpit sa kamay.

"I promise you I will not get drunk again, Bhei. Please forgive me?"

Parang kidlat na napakhawak din sa kamay ni Bea si Kris and he smiled his apologies. "Trust me, I'm not usually like this."

Natatawa na lang si Margaret na nanood ng kaganapan na ito mula sa sala. Kulang na lang ay lumuhod ang tatlong lalaki mula sa upuan ng mga ito. And this doesn't usually happen to a lot of men in this generation.

Kung ganito ba naman ang asawa ng anak niya at ang mga taong malapit sa mga ito, then she can leave this world in peace...

*****

Alden impatiently stepped on the gas as he drove the car down the road leading to the hospital. Nasa kalagitnaan siya ng meeting sa isang overseas client nang ibalita sa kanya ni Leo ang pagkamatay ng ina ni Dei. He left the conference room without a word and instructed Jhake to take his place for the day.

Nakaantabay na sa labas ng ospital si Kris at nang mapansin nito ang paglabas niya mula sa kotse ay agad na iginiya siya nito papunta sa kinaroroonan ng asawa. He expected Dei to be crying so much right now. Instead, he found his wife staring lifelessly on the vacant bed of her mother's hospital room.

Agad na pinuntahan niya ang asawa at mahigpit itong niyakap. At that moment, Dei cried on her husband's arms. Hindi man nagsalita si Alden sa buong oras na nasa loob sila ng kwarto but the warmth of his embrace was enough to console her. At this moment of grief, no words could comfort her than the silence that Alden gave her that time. For that, she was thankful.

*****

Nagising si Dei ng hapong iyon sa kwarto nila ni Alden. Pagkatapos niyang umiyak ng umiyak sa yakap ni Alden ay wala na siyang maalala. Hinala niya ay nawalan siya bigla ng malay.

She didn't waste a second to find her husband and make him less worried. Natagpuan niya ito na naglalakad sa sala habang may kausap sa telepono. She waited and listened to their conversation before she decided to go and hug him at the back.

He was busy preparing for her mother's burial over the phone. Eh kung tutuusin duty niya iyon bilang anak.

"Hey..." he worriedly smiled and held her in his arms as he continued talking to Kris.

She didn't wait long for the phone to end and when it did, she has his full, undivided attention.

Alden's heart clenched as he stared down at his wife's appearance. She looked distressed. Her skin was pale, her lips were dried, and the rim of her eyes were swollen and red.

"Are you hungry?" he asked instead of asking about her feelings right now.

He smiled when Dei nodded so he quickly led her towards the dining table. Nagulat si Dei ng mapansin ang iba't ibang klase ng dessert na nasa hapag-kainan.

"I heard that sweets are very helpful for a person after shock." He gestured on the food. "Kain ka na..."

Dei felt bliss the moment her tongue tasted the sweetness. Naibaling saglit ang pagluluksa nito sa pagkain and Alden was relieved to see that.

"Dei, I will take care of your mom and you take care of yourself, okay? Buntis ka, I don't want you to be in so much stress."

"What about your duties Alden?"

"My duty is to be on your side right now. Huwag mo nang alalahanin ang MUNDO. Jhake and Leo can handle it well."

Dei stared at the worried face of her husband and squashed his face between her hands. "Kain ka na rin. Nawawala na ang taba sa pisngi mo oh."

Alden chuckled and settled himself properly in front of the table.

If anyone will ask Dei how she copes up in this type of grief, she will definitely answer them with, "Because I married a good husband."

"Thank you and I love you..." she said and was immediately rewarded by the sweetest dimpled smile she has ever seen in her life.

*****END*****