Chapter 13- Music, A Good Cry, And A Promise

Jason's pov

"Done." I say standing up proudly. "Done with what?" Mom asks, stirring whatever it was we were eating for dinner. "I finally finished this song I've been working on." "Oh what's it called." "Bless the broken road. It's a love song for Miranda." I say, going to my room to get my guitar. I can't wait to sing it for her. I rush up to the hospital. I heard her coughing in the hallway. My hands were shaking with worry. I saw her mom pat her on the back. A doctor walked in the room. "I hate to tell you this but... The cancer has spread to your lungs. We're going to have to double chemo and radiation treatments to kill it as fast as we can!" "Double them?!" I hear my girl shout. "I already can't eat without puking. What'll happen if you double them?!" I could hear her crying which made me want to cry. I bite my lip. "I'm sorry, Miranda. I hate that you're going through this." The doctor says then leaves. I nervously walk in. "Oh Jason! Thank God you're here!" See gasps, shaking and crying. I quickly walk to her bed and pull her into a hug. "I'll always be here angel." Her mom was crying and her dad walked her out of the room. "I feel so bad for them." She whimpers, crying into my chest. I hold her tight and let her cry, not knowing what to say to help. "I.... Uh I wrote you... A s-song." I shakily say. "Thanks, Jason. I can't wait to hear it." She says, laying back down, a pained look on her face. I thought the pain meds helped her not hurt? I fight back the tears. Gotta be strong. She needs me. I grab my guitar and strum to the tune.

Miranda's pov

"I set out on a narrow way many years ago. Hoping I would find true love along the broken road. But I got lost a time or two. Wiped my brow and kept pushing through. I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you." Wow. He's so good at writing songs. I especially love it when he writes love songs. "Every long lost dream led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars. Pointing me on my way into your loving arms. This much I know is true. That God blessed the broken road...... That led me straight to you." I'm so glad we're together. He makes me so happy, no matter what I'm going through. "I think about the years I spent just passing through. I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you." I would love to have dated him all these years also. "But you just smile and take my hand. You've been there you understand. It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true. And every long lost dream... Led me to where you are... And others who broke my heart.... They were like Northern stars, pointin' me on my way..... Into your loving arms! This much I know is true.... That God blessed me broken road.... That led me straight to you! Yeah. Now I'm just rolling home! Into my lover's arms. This much I know is true. That God blessed the broken road. That led me straight to you. That God blessed the broken road. That led me straight to you." I was crying freely by the time he finished the song. "What'd you think?" "You are unbelievably amazing, Jason. That's the best song you've ever written." He smiles. "God, Miranda I love you so freaking much." He says setting his guitar down and hugging me. It scares me. He loves me so much.... What if I do die? He's going to be devastated. I cry softly against his shoulder, sad at the thought. "Jason... I... I'm scared... What.... What if I don't make it?" His body tenses. "I know you'll make it. You're too tough and badass and stubborn to die." I can't help but laugh. He smiles, I can see fear in his eyes, not to mention his hands were shaking around mine. He was scared too. "I will never love anyone more than I love you." He says kissing me. "Oh Jason!" I whimper crying even harder. "Shh shh there there baby. Just let it out." He whispers, pulling me onto his lap where I ball my eyes out, him rocking me.

Jason's pov

I bite my lip, unable to hold my tears back, hearing her cry like that. I keep praying. Week after week. I know he won't let her die. He's got a plan for her. I just know it. I hug her tight, her crying makes my heart hurt. I can't help her.

*A few hours later*

I had fallen asleep, still holding her in my arms, her arm had fallen off to the side. When I look up, I see the doctor. "Her meds?" He nods and attaches it to her IV. "Please doc, tell me the truth, does she have a fighting chance?" "As long as it doesn't spread anymore, she's got a chance." He says and walks out. That scares me. We can't control it from spreading. I look down at her. She's so small and vulnerable. Before cancer, you got on her bad side and she could be the meanest girl you'd ever meet. But now she's so scared and it's so hard for me to see what this lousy cancer has done to her. Once she goes into remission, I'll make sure she's back to that badass take no shit play lovin', country music rockin' cowgirl I know and love.