Chapter 5-Reasons Why

Jason's pov

I ran to her room when she got out of surgery. She was surprisingly sitting up talking to the doctor. My jaw drops seeing how different she looks. They had to take everything. I force myself not to show how shocked I am. "Hey, Miranda. How're you feeling?" I ask, trying to keep my voice from shaking. Her face turns red and she covers her now quite bare chest with her shaking hands. Then a look of pain crosses her face. She's embarrassed. "I just look.... So.... So..." "You look fine." I say sitting down beside her and moving her hands. "I don't even look like a girl anymore!" She gasps crying. "Yes you do!" I lie, worried. "Don't look at me!" Her dad walks in. "Miranda calm down, sweetheart. Everything is okay!" "Okay?! Okay?! I look like a freak!!" I'm so scared. "No you don't!" I gasp. She was freaking out and crying and I didn't know what to do or how to help. I panicked and ran out the door, collapsing to my knees beside my truck. I couldn't breathe and my chest hurt. "What do I do?!"

Miranda's pov

*The next day*

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. I can't stand to look at myself. "The worst part is I think I scared Jason away." There's a knock on the door. I look up hoping it's him but it's a delivery guy. "Who keeps sending me stuff?" I whisper quietly. He hands me a vase of flowers. The card says, "You're beautiful, Miranda but outer beauty is nothing compared to your inner beauty. You are like Belle and I am the beast. You are my calm during the storm. Love your Secretive Romeo." "Wait!" I gasp to the delivery guy. "Who keeps telling you to deliver this stuff to me!?" "I can't disclose that information ma'am." "Please! I've got to know! It's driving me crazy!! Who is he?!" "I'm not allowed to say. "I'm dying of cancer for God sakes! You can tell me." He sighs. "I'm sorry ma'am. I can't." Drat. He leaves and I set the flowers on the desk. I hear my parents talking in the hallway and then I see Jason's dad. I sit up, straining to hear. "I'm sorry what this all is doing to Jason." I hear mom say. "He just wants to help and knowing that he can't is really hard." His dad says. Well my freak out the other day sure didn't help. "How's he doing?" Dad asks. "Just upset and scared. Not much I can really say that ya don't already know." I close the door and call him. "Hello?" His voice sounds hoarse. "Hey Jase, how ya doin'?" I ask nervously. "Oh hey." He sounds surprised. "I... Uh I... I'm okay." "I was a little worried after yesterday." "Worried? Why?" I bite my lip. "I... I don't know. I freaked out a little and you left. Are you sure you're okay?" "Yeah. I'm survivin' hun. It's just..... I'm scared to lose you." "I'm scared too." I shakily whisper, feeling the tears burn my eyes. "I'm on my way." I freeze. "I mean... If ya don't mind?" Huh? "Of course I don't. I love it when you visit." I say smiling. "Ok. Be there in a bit."

*A few hours later*

While me and Jay were hanging out, the doctor came in with a bag of medicine. "This is your chemo." He says. I nod scared. I hate needles. "I'm with you." Jason says holding my hand. "I need to attach it to your chest." My face instantly heats up. "I... I'll wait in the hall then." "No!" I cry holding his hand tighter. "It's not like there's anything left for you to see." He squeezes my hand. "Ok. I'm ready doc." My parents were hugging each other behind the doctor. Mom was trying not to cry. I felt bad for them. He stuck me with the needle. I cried out in pain.

Jason's pov

She gripped my hand tighter and I saw a tear roll down her cheek. I hand her her Teddy bear and she holds it tight. The doctor puts tape over the needle and tells her to stay laying down. After he leaves, she starts crying. "I hate this!" I wish I could cheer her up. "Oh uh this is new." I say nodding to the new vase of flowers I had delivered. Man I'm blowing my savings on all this stuff. But it's worth it. "Oh uh yeah. That secret admirer of mine." She says glancing at it. "I wonder how he knew my favorite flower." "This guy must really love you." "If he loves me, why won't he tell me!" I bite my lip. "Maybe he's scared to." "Scared of what?! I've got nothing left to lose!" I sigh worried. "Maybe he is scared you won't feel the same." She sighs. "I'd give anything for a guy to love me even though I'm going through this." I really wanna tell her. But I'm too scared to. Her mom walks over and hugs her. "Any boy would be lucky to be with you, Miranda." She says making me smile. She's so right.

*A few hours later*

She had fallen asleep and I was about to head home. Her parents were asleep and it was super late. "I love you even though you're going through this." I whisper kissing her forehead. I gently touch her hand, wishing I had the balls to tell her. I sigh and shake my head at my cowardice. I walk out to the parking lot. Dad was waiting for me. "Did you fall asleep again?" I shake my head sadly. "Jason you're gonna regret never telling her if she passes away." "She won't die! She can't!" I gasp, my whole body going rigid. "Let's go home son." He says sighing. I get in the truck and the dam bursts and I cry like a baby with my father beside me.