An Afternoon Swim (Daryl Dixon)

It was early in the morning when you and Rick were looking over the map while everyone else ate their breakfast around the campfire. Rick had the map spread out across the hood of one of their trucks while you studied it carefully. You were going hunting in the next few minutes but the woods were a large space and after Sophia's disappearance, Rick was doing everything he could to ensure everyone's safety.

"I think I'll stick to this little area right here," you said, circling the small area with your fingertip, "Around this lake and stream here. This way if I don't find anything, I can always try and catch some fish. What do you think?"

"Sounds like a good idea," Rick said, "As long as we have an idea where you are. If we've gotta send someone after you."

You laughed, "When have you ever had to send someone after me? I'm a tough girl, Rick. I've got this. You won't need to send anyone after me, alright? Okay?"

"Yeah, got it," Rick chuckled, patting your shoulder, "Still gonna have Daryl around just in case."

"He's gonna be thrilled," you said, "I'll see ya."

You gathered your things and started walking, passing by the campfire and waving good-bye to everyone sitting there. You passed by Daryl's campsite which he'd set up far away from the others. He must've had a soft spot for you because you were the only one he allowed to come over to his camp and talk to him. Although, he was a complicated man because it seemed as though he liked you but he never showed it. He was so difficult to read.

"Hey," Daryl called out as you walked by, "Where are you goin'?"

"Hunting," you replied, "Rick and I narrowed it down to a little grid around this lake and stream. I shouldn't be too hard to find. Rick seems to think that I'll need back-up."

Daryl smirked, "Never needed back-up before."

"That's what I said," you replied. After a bit of laughter from the both of you, he gave you a nod and you gave him a small wave in return, "Well, I'll be back in a little while. Hope I find something good."

You continued, venturing into the woods. You were extremely lucky this morning. You managed to catch quite a bit of squirrels while only encountering one or two walkers. But, the two walkers left your clothes and body horrendously stained with blood, making you look like you'd just battled a large horde of walkers. And the sun beating down on you wasn't helping even a little bit. You'd lived in Georgia all of your life but you would never get used to this heat. You could feel how slimy your toes were in your boots, sweat rolled down your back, and your hair clung to your forehead and some other strands stuck to the back of your neck.

Coming upon the lake you told Rick about, you knew it was time to turn around and head back. But the lake was so blue, so clear, and so peaceful. The trees hung over the lake like a canopy, leaving you with tons of shade and just staring at the water made you feel just slightly cooler. A few minutes in the lake wouldn't hurt, would it?

You unbuttoned your flannel and took of your boots and jeans, leaving you in just your underwear and the tank top you'd put on underneath the flannel. Dipping your toe into the ice cold water, you shivered and grinned as you dove in, sighing in relief as you felt ten times more comfortable. You could never get over how relaxed you were already feeling. Could it get any better?

"Hey, Daryl," Rick called out as he came towards the campfire. Daryl was sitting with the rest of the group eating lunch of canned beans and eggs that had been left over from breakfast. Rick leaned against the back of Daryl's chair, "Y/N has been gone a long time. She said not to send anyone after her but...she's not usually gone for this long. Think you could go and look for her? Make sure she's alright?"