Dress Up (Daryl)

The cool fall breeze blew as you walked into an abandon lake house with Daryl. The two of you had been sent on a quick supply run to look for ammo, food, and weapons. Back at Alexandria, there were still enough supplies to tide you over for the winter, but Rick thought it would be wise to get some extras, in case of an emergency. He was fine sending just Daryl, but you insisted on going with him. You had been going a little stir crazy, and going on a supply run with Daryl seemed to be a pretty good time to get some air. Ever since the last run went bad, Rick and Daryl insisted on keeping you home for a while before letting you go back out. The run didn’t go too bad, but you were almost bit and twisted your wrist. It could have gone better, but you didn’t die, so you figured it was a good run. Daryl reluctantly let you come with him, even if he wanted you to stay put and stay safe.

The two of you walked into the house and saw that it looked like it hadn’t been touched since the start of everything. The house was a little hidden in the woods, so it was probably overlooked by people trying to get some stuff out of it. Daryl checked out the house to make sure it was clear, and then came back out to you.

           “Why don’t you look in the bedrooms upstairs, I’ll check the kitchen and the back room?” he said.

           You nodded and grabbed your backpack, heading up the creaky stairs.

You saw a guest room, a master bedroom, a bathroom, and an office. You took the guest room first and checked the drawers and closets. You didn’t find too much, so you headed into the bathroom to get any first aid supplies that were left behind. There was only a half empty box of Band-Aids, a bottle of peroxide, and a bottle of Aspirin. You shoved everything into your backpack and saw Daryl walking past into the guest room.

           “I already checked in there.” You told him, stepping into the hallway. “There wasn’t anything in there.” You assured him.

           He looked over his shoulder and nodded, heading into the master bedroom. “Did you look in here yet?” he asked.

           “No I got the first aid stuff out of the bathroom first.” You told him, heading into the bedroom to check the drawers and closet like you did in the guest room.

           After looking through the vanity, Daryl let out a sigh.

           You looked over at him, flipping through the closet. “You okay?” you asked him. The car ride here had been almost silent, so you were left to assume that Daryl was mad at you.

           He shook his head and sat down on the bed for a moment. “It’s not that I didn’t want you comin’ with me.” He said.

           You looked at him for a minute and then walked over, sitting on the bed beside him. “I know that. You just wanna keep me safe.” You said.

Daryl was the one to find you on a run, and he was the one to bring you back to the camp to join the group. The two of you became quite close, and you found yourself having a bit of a crush on him. There were times that you thought he might have the same feelings towards you, but you tried to tell yourself that he was just being nice. You knew that the only reason he was reluctant to bring you with was because he wanted to keep you safe back home.

           He nodded to you and looked at his hands. “That last run we went on was too close.” He said softly.

           “I know, but I’m okay now. I’m here with you, aren’t I? I’m not going anywhere.” You assured him, putting a hand on his arm gently. “Come on, let’s get the rest of the stuff here and head home, okay?” You knew Daryl wasn’t an emotional person, so you tried not to make him uncomfortable with a mushy talk.