twenty six

Victor was sat in Novie's hospital room surrounded by the sickening white color. It was his least favorite color mainly because it was a lie. White was supposed to mean purity and health, but it was always around when there was death. Black was much better, it never tried to hide what it was by blinding you.

His eyes focused from the sickening walls onto the girl in the bed. The only burst of color was her lilac hair, which he had come to adore, but even that was now fading from her having not been to the salon in quite some time.

The beeping of the heart monitor and the humming of the breathing tube was the only sound in the room. The doctors had said that she had serious internal damage along with several fractures and one major break in her leg. The topic of if she would wake up was still up for debate, and then if she did wake up they didn't know the extent of her brain function. It was possible that she'd be perfectly fine, but she could also have severe amnesia or any other number of problems.

When her eyes had rolled back into her head Victor had immediately started chest compressions, which the doctors ha told her family saved her life. Without that she'd be gone. He hadn't been able to ride in the ambulance or even come into the hospital through the front entrance due to who he was, but he was here now and she still wasn't awake.

•*•*•*•

"Zsasz." Jim nodded to the tired looking assassin as he walked in with Harvey. The two were on semi-okay terms with the man, but nobody really knew when that'd change.

"Jim." He looked over to the two officers and returned the nod to the two. It was the extent of their everyday conversation. Zsasz was always at the hospital when anybody stopped by, but he never really talked to anyone. Nobody had ever heard the man so quiet.

"How's she doing?" Harvey asked as he went to stand by the head of the bed.

"Still in a coma. What'd you do with that guy in the mask?" Victor finally broke his gaze at Novie's motionless body to actually look at the two detectives.

"You know we can't tell you that..." Jim started before his partner continued.

"We also can't tell you that there's a transport heading for Blackgate tomorrow."

"Of course. And that guy the one that was the ringleader...he's actually dead?" Victor smirked at the thought of pulling the trigger on the man. He knew he should've gone for the absolute kill shot, but he couldn't, not when he deserved so much more pain.

"Yeah, bled out before the ambulance arrived." Jim's voice held resentment at the thought that Jackson wouldn't be brought to justice, but the small dark part of him was glad that the scum had been taken out.

"Good." They all looked to the girl in that bed, it was hard seeing such a force taken down.

"Look, when she wakes up you need to tell her how you feel, okay? When she wakes up the two of you need to work out this spat, because she deserves to be happy and for some reason you make her happy." Jim was glaring at the assassin with the same eyes that Novella always glared at him with. Victor just remained silent, taking in all the words that were coming out of the man's mouth. "Don't screw this up. She's dealt with too much screwed up for you to continue the cycle."

With that Bullock and Gordon walked out. They didn't typically stay long, too much to do at the department, but they always stopped by. Victor on the other hand, could stay as long as he wanted as long as he didn't have a job, and right now there was no job.

"Look Novie, you're gonna wake up obviously, because you're too damn stubborn to die. Just, wake up soon, okay? Because I've gotta tell you something and I'm not gonna be one of those people that tells an unconscious person that they love them-" he cut himself off with a few curses, "and I just did. Well there, now you know so now you can stop being so dramatic and wake up."