thirty seven

Novella walked into her and Victor's apartment much later than she'd expected. She and Jim had talked for a few hours about all that had gone on in the last few months that they'd been ignoring each other, and she'd missed a lot. Most notably the fact that Jim was somewhat involved with the female Falcone.

Despite how out of touch the two had been, they were able to quickly recover their lost time in a matter of hours. However, within those hours it had slipped her mind that Victor was supposed to be home that night. So it was quite a shock when she walked into the bedroom to be greeted by one Victor Zsasz covered in blood trying to stitch up Wendell.

"What the hell happened?" Her voice was deadly low and caused Victor to look at her in a pleading manner.

"Look I know this isn't the best way to come home but he called and..." Victor trailed off as he motioned to the blood-soaked man laying on their bed.

"Of course, but I was more wanting to know how he got stabbed?" Novella asked as she walked to the kitchen to grab the medical supplies. "Did you disinfect everything? There's no telling what was on whatever he was stabbed with."

"Do I look like an idiot?" She shot him a look to which he just shook his head and went back to stitching up his friend. "He should be fine. The stab to his abdomen didn't get anything major, but the neck is . . . difficult."

The three in the room didn't speak for a while. Novie just watched Victor work on his friend, wondering how exactly this man knew how to heal and hurt with the same set of tools.

•*•*•*•

"How is he?" Novella asked once Victor returned from the hospital a few hours later.

At first, Victor was dead set on fixing Wendell himself, but then the blood kept coming and it was evident that it was either the hospital or death. Needless to say, they chose the hospital.

"He'll be fine. I mean he's Headhunter nothing can happen to him." Victor looked at Novie and smiled as he spoke. He hadn't seen her for a few days and it had been complete torture for him, but it gave him time to think about things that he desperately needed to think about. "I missed you, Noves."

"I missed you too, Vic." She walked over to where he was standing and wrapped him in a hug which he reciprocated. "You're not allowed to go anywhere anymore."

He let out a small chuckle and kissed the top of her head.  "Or you could just come with me whenever I go places. How do you feel about Paris?"

"Don't mess with me Zsasz. If you say we're going to Paris, then we are."

"We will one day, but unfortunately Penguin needs me to go do a job in a few hours, so not today." He grinned at her and she could tell he thought this new job was anything but unfortunate.

"You and I both know that you can't wait to go do that job," she fixed him with a playful glare, "Besides, I have a dinner at the new orphanage to keep me busy while you go terrorize people."

"At Sofia's orphanage?" He asked her, to which she just nodded. "Penguin's going to that and I think that kid he's obsessed with is doing some song or another."

"All the children are Victor, that's what they're doing for a fundraiser." She looked around the apartment before settling back on Victor with a hint of mischief in her eyes. "Just out of curiosity, if I were to smuggle one of those precious children out of the orphanage, what would you do?"

"I'd much rather any kid that comes into this apartment to be ours, but if that's what you want..." he said in a joking tone, but he was internally more serious than he'd ever been.