forty seven

The drive to the hospital didn't seem nearly fast enough to Novella. She was too worried over Jim to realize that the drive took the same amount of time it always had.

"Vic, what else happened?" Her question was the only thing she could think of to distract herself. Besides, she hadn't let the two men finish their story.

"Sofia is halfway to hell," Victor said with no feeling, not that Novella had expected any. "You can thank Lee for that."

Novella internally groaned at the thought of thanking her father's old girlfriend. Not that she didn't respect Lee, she just wasn't as fond of her as she could be.

"Why would I thank her for stealing my thunder?"

Victor looked at Novella for a moment before responding to her statement.

"You wanted to kill Sofia?"

"Obviously." Her monotone voice was close to matching the one Victor always used on jobs. "As soon as you said she shot Jim I started picking out my weapon of choice."

Novella was still slightly frowning at the thought of Sofia which greatly contradicted the grin that Victor was trying to suppress.

"You'd of told me before you killed her right?" Novella looked over to Victor with a puzzled expression at his words.

"Of course, I wouldn't want to dig her grave all by myself," she said. For some reason, the jokes about murder helped ease her fear and calm her nerves.

"It could've been our first hit together." Victor looked at Novella and made a sad face at her. "Anybody else getting under your skin?"

Novella let out a laugh and pushed at Victor's shoulder. Seeing his girl smiling automatically put a smile on his face even if he was actually a bit down about not being able to do a couple hit.

"Not at the moment, no, but you'll be the first I tell." She looked out of the window of the car and saw the Hospital sign. "We're here."

Novella found herself shaking slightly at the thought of what state her father was in. She couldn't help the feeling of dread that fell in her stomach as she looked out over the large building. The dark clouds and light rain that fell did nothing to improve her mood.

"Vic?" Her voice came out uncertain much to her disapproval.

He looked at her with those dark brown eyes and nodded his head for her to continue as he wrapped her under his arm.

"Just tell me he's gonna make it." Her southern accent, from all those years in Georgia, slipped out in her worry. Her speech lingered on the vowels and stressed certain consonants as it made its way into the air. "Please."

Victor squeezed her tighter into her side and pressed a kiss to her lilac hair. "He'll make it, Novie."

•*•*•*•

When Victor saw Jim he almost regretted telling Novie that her father would be fine. The state the man was in made even Victor, who had faced death multiple times, worry for the outcome.

"Novella, maybe we should come back later," Victor said into her hair while brushing back her hair from her neck. "I don't want you to see this."

The two looked towards the man lying in the hospital bed. His eyes were closed and his face was pale and grim from the blood-loss. Beside him, Victor felt Novella shift.

"He looks-" her words faltered as a sob escaped her mouth and for the first time in a long time Victor saw Novella cry.

Victor had never been extremely experienced when it came to comforting women, but the girl beside him wasn't just any woman she was his Novie and even if he couldn't understand her emotions, he could sure as hell act like it. So, he wrapped his girl up in his arms and let her cry out on his shoulder until the only sounds left were her sniffles and the beeping of the heart monitor.

"Novie," she looked up to him with those crystal blue eyes, "he'll make it."

He kissed the top of her head and brought her over to the bed where her father laid. She sat down on the edge of the bed and Victor watched as Novella grasped Jim's hand and silently cried while she awaited his waking.

•*•*•*•

Novella didn't know what to do while she waited for Jim to wake up. She hated that all she was doing was crying while he was fighting for his life, but she couldn't help it. The tears fell and fell and fell until there couldn't possibly be any more water left in her body. At that point, she quietly excused herself from the room and Victor to go find the one person she grew to hate more than her parents.

She ignored the nauseating feeling in her stomach as she absentmindedly walked down the desolate hallways and took note of how little was going on around her. It was as if the entire world was oblivious to the fact that her world was breaking apart.

Once she got to the room she'd been searching for, she pushed open the door and glared at the comatose person laying in the bed. Why the bitch hadn't just died astonished and angered Novella, but that wasn't why she was there. She was there for closure.

"I contemplated unplugging the ventilator," she started as she played with a cord in her hands, "but then I figured that even Hell was too good for you."

She threw the cord down, not caring if something unplugged or not, and walked over to sit on Sofia's bed. She brushed a strand of the woman's raven hair from her face and grazed the bandage over her forehead with her fingers.

"I never saw the appeal of murder or even inflicting pain," she pushed down on the wound in Sofia's head and was satisfied when the heart monitor slightly spiked, "but if you were awake I'd make you scream in ways that would make your father twist in his grave."

She pulled the knife that she kept tucked in her boot and flipped it open, lightly toying with it between her fingers. She brought the sharp metal to Sofia's cheek and applied enough pressure to get to the point just before bloodshed.

"If you ever wake up I will slit your pretty little throat, you son of a bitch." Her voice was venom dripping out of her mouth as she spit her words. The knife she'd pressed to Sofia found its home again in her boot and she walked out of the room wishing that she would've killed the little bitch.

•*•*•*•

A/N : So it's a short chapter, but it's also a quicker update! I thought I'd be sweet and try to get some stuff out before I get super duper overwhelmed.

QOTC :

What do y'all think of Bab's baby bump?