seven

The noise behind Victor spurred him into action. He pulled out one of the silver guns with one hand and, using the other, pulled Novella behind him as they turned to face the mystery person.

"What the hell do you think you're doing Uncle Jim?" Novella wiped at her slightly swollen lips still behind Victor.

"I could ask you the same thing Novella Owens. You're sitting here making out with a killer." Jim's grip on his gun visibly tightened as he focused even more on Zsasz.

"Now, I wouldn't call that making out-" Novella didn't let Victor get his entire thought out before interrupting him.

"You're not helping Vic."

"Thought I'd try." He shrugged, but still didn't relax his hold on the gun or her.

"Zsasz step away from Novella." Jim took a step forward in an attempt to intimidate the other man.

"Now why would I do that? Our little date was just getting started." The detective threw a look at his niece as if to ask, is this true?

"Look, why don't we all just put the firearms away," Novella stepped from behind Zsasz and moved in between the two men, "and resolve this in a rational way."

"This man doesn't do rational Nove. He's a sociopath." Jim grabbed her wrist and started pulling her towards the door. "We're leaving before you get yourself killed."

Victor was suddenly blocking the doorway, swinging his gun around a finger. "I wouldn't do that if I were you Jim."

"Oh yeah? And why's that?" The cocky attitude was the most annoying thing to Zsasz, that and the fact he was stealing Novella.

"Well for starters, we haven't had a proper date in weeks and also there's that one little thing," he paused just long enough to point his gun directly in Jim's face, his own losing any trace of humor, "I'm Victor Zsasz."

Jim shifted uncomfortably under the cold stare of the other man, but still held fast to Novella. Any interaction with the assassin could be a person's last, so he had to tread carefully.

"Look Novie," Jim turned to face his niece, "we need to leave now. I know you think you're in love with him or whatever, but you're not. Do your parents even know about this?" Rage began to build in the girl's veins as she heard her uncle try to dictate her life, try to tell her what she thought and felt.

"I know good and well that I'm not in love with him, but I do like him. We've been doing this for a few months, that's clearly not enough time for two people to fall in love! And no, my parents don't know, and you can't tell them." She stopped yelling as the thought of what her parents would do if they found out crossed her mind. "You know what would happen as well as I do."

Victor got confused as the argument took a different turn. From what he knew Novella had perfectly reasonable parents, although what he knew wasn't much. The two people in front of him were just staring at each other until Jim lowered his gun from Victor.

"You can't see him anymore Nove. It's not safe for you and you should know that." He released his hold on the girl's hand, allowing him to turn fully on Victor, "And you. You know what would happen if anyone found out about this game you're playing. I won't allow you to put my family in harm's way."

"That's why no one is going to find out. Besides, do you really think you could stop me?" Victor lowered his own gun as he spoke, "No one is going to hurt her."

Gordon knew he didn't have a say in the relationship at this point, maybe if he'd found out earlier, but not now. He sighed and loosened his shoulders before nodding his head and making one last threat, "If something happens to her, I'll kill you...slowly."