Stage Fright

Aiden's PoV

"What are you trying to say?" a girl in the front row demanded. Aiden looked at the floor, his hands trembling. Great, this was what he dreaded the most. Embarrassing himself in front of everyone.

Aiden hated presenting himself in front of everyone. Maybe he had stage fright... but this was more than a stage fright. He was on the verge of just collapsing right onto the ground and giving up.

Ugh, why couldn't he make any sense? Finally, his teacher took pity on him. Thank goodness. "Jesse, could you accompany Aiden to the washroom please? I think he needs to wash his face and compose himself,"

Aiden continued to stare at the floor as he heard Jesse agree and there was the scrape of his chair against the floor as Jesse pushed back his chair. Footsteps.. then-

Suddenly, Jesse took Aiden's wrist and guided him out of the auditorium. Aiden looked up and saw a few students snickering at him. He turned away, his face burning.

"Wash your face... you'll feel better." Jesse said quietly. Aiden stood at the sink, his hands still trembling from the shock. "I'm... I'm sorry.." he managed to say as he took a shaky breath. Aiden closed his eyes and washed his face, immediately feeling better as the cold water cooled him down.

"You don't have to be. I understand why you're scared-."

"No you don't." Aiden snapped, gripping the sides of the sink as he bent his head down. "You don't know what it's like."

"... Then what is it like?"

Aiden took another shaky breath, trying to calm himself down but he could feel the tears escaping from his eyes. "It...it's horrible. The feeling of being watched. Afraid to mess up even the slightest bit. Afraid that people would mock you even if you put so much effort into this stupid project."

Aiden looked up to see Jesse still leaning against the wall, listening to him. "I..I never know if I'm making any sense and... I just can't seem to talk the way I used to last time.. I keep.." Aiden bit his lip.

"I keep stammering. And making a fool out of myself. No matter what I do. People stay away from me because they think I'm weird and cringey or something... but I just can't control this stupid stammering.."

Jesse shook his head. "But stammering is normal. A lot of people have that. Stage fright as well."

Aiden sighed, "... I hate this. All of it. Just leave me alone." he said.

"Aiden-."

"Just leave me alone. P-Please." Aiden said, his voice shaking again.

"No, just hear me out. You're not cringey or anything like that, okay? You're the smartest and kindest boy I've ever met and-."

"Just save it Jesse... people say that all the time and I know it's all lies."

There was a silence as Aiden looked at the sink, his fingers still gripped around the sides. He only let go when he heard the bathroom door open and close quietly.

Aiden looked at the mirror again and realised that Jesse had left him. He sighed, turning to look at himself in the mirror. What the hell was wrong with him? Why couldn't he make any sense?

Aiden closed his eyes and pulled out his phone, with his headphones still attached to it. He needed to calm down again. And he knew how.

Aiden pressed play on his playlist and slipped on his headphones, still standing at the sink.

And the tears kept rolling down his cheeks as he listened to the music.

-End