Chapter Forty-Four - Come Back to Me

Adam's P.O.V.

This is all my fault.

I sat, head bowed, on a bench in the hospital ward hallway; watching as the blood dripping from the wound on my cheek mingled with the pool of tears on the ground between my feet.

I glanced at my hands, which were coated in Viktor's blood, and clenched them to try and stop their incessant shaking.

Closing my eyes, I listened to the murmur of Mrs. Chandler's voice as she thumbed through her rosary with raw fingers, saying silent prayers.

Her husband had succumbed to his injuries just hours earlier and there she was, sitting next to me.

I'm sure the two of us looked pitiful.

Our tear-stained faces and my blood-stained body certainly weren't anything to brag of.

I heard the squeaking of rubber soles make its way over to where I sat and looked up to see a nurse, who was holding a first aid kit, approach me.

"I'm fine," I insisted, dismissing her when she reached out to touch me.

I felt Mrs. Chandler's hand on my back and I sighed, sitting up straight so the nurse could do her job.

"Dr. Zosak sent me," the nurse informed me, putting on rubber gloves.

"Why aren't you helping him?" I asked.

"He's got enough help, Your Highness."

I exhaled slowly, my drive to argue about the matter dissolving with each second that passed.

"Here," she said, handing me an alcohol-soaked towelette to clean my hands with.

I half-heartedly wiped away the blood that stained the creases of my fingers and palms.

The nurse applied an ointment to the cut on my face and I felt the numbness set in quickly.

"This might still hurt," she said, holding up the needle.

I said nothing as she began to stitch up the cut.

As soon as she as was finished, she handed me bandaids and gauze pads for the assortment of wounds along my hands, arms, and torso, which were evident through my bloody shirt.

"Thank you."

She nodded and turned to leave as I placed the bandages beside me on the bench.

"What is taking so long?" I groaned.

"Patience," Mrs. Chandler said.

"I've been patient for four hours."

I took a deep breath as I stood up and began to pace along the hallway.

Vega sat on the floor, her back to the stone wall, watching me as I did so.

"Can I help you?" I quipped.

She said nothing in response as she turned her head and sighed.

I heard the door open on the other end of the hallway and I began to walk swiftly over to Dr. Zosak, who emerged from the operating room.