Chapter Forty-One - Escape

"What do you mean I can't see him?"

Adam sighed in frustration.

"I can't let you see him, Evelyn."

I groaned and sat down in the chair across from his desk. My father had been in the castle for three days and Adam was now refusing to let me see him after I began to ask questions.

"My mother is dead," I said gruffly. "My father is the only blood relative I have left alive and you're not going to let me see him because you have a point to prove."

Adam walked around his desk and stood in front of me.

"That man was not a father to you and never cared for you to say the least. Why on earth do you want to see him after all those years of being beaten within an inch of your life?"

I bit the inside of my lip.

I wasn't sure why I wanted to see him, but I did.

"You'll be right there with me," I protested. "He can't hurt me."

"Not physically," Adam muttered, turning to walk back behind his desk.

My eyebrows furrowed.

"What do you mean?"

He sighed, sitting back down in his desk chair.

"You're not in a good place emotionally, love. You've only just found out three days ago that your mother has died and now you want to see the man that was abusive to you after years of trying to escape him? It doesn't make sense to me."

"Well, it's not like he killed her," I muttered.

When Adam failed to respond, I looked up to him for reassurance.

"He didn't kill her, did he?" I asked, eyes wide.

"We don't know how she died. When you father was found he told my men that your mother was dead. They took his words to be true due to the fact that he was covered in blood."

"So, she might not actually be dead?" I asked him, sitting up straighter in the seat.

"I wouldn't get my hopes up, love."

I knew it was a stupid thought. She would never survive without my father. If my father hadn't killed her, she would certainly have died from the extreme cold and the withdrawal from her painkillers.

"I'm sorry," Adam apologized.

"For what?" I asked.

"That you never got to say goodbye to her."

I shrugged.

I could no longer mourn her death with tears or anger. It was like being around Adam, Jace, Liu and all of the other emotionless creatures in the castle had turned me cold. Being that they were purebloods, I doubted any of them had ever even cried. I imagined that I would become more and more like a robot the longer I stayed with them.

"Let me show you something," Adam said, motioning for me to come over to him.

I stood up and he opened his desk drawer and reached inside as I walked around the desk. He pulled out an old picture frame and handed it to me.

"This is my mother," Adam said.

I took the black and white photo from him and stared at it intently.

She had dark, wavy hair like his. She had fair skin and high cheekbones that Adam had also inherited. I could see him in her more than I could in his father.

"She was gorgeous," I said, sitting down on the edge of the desk.

Adam hummed in response.

"I don't remember her," he said.