Chapter Ten - Beyond Repair

I could do nothing but sit and listen to her sobs through the phone.

Tears had welled up in my own eyes listening to Vega's pitiful cries.

"Adam's working on seeing what he can do," I said hopefully. 

I heard her stop and sniffle.

"If he had done his job in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. The council thinks it was a rogue attack—probably the same one your boyfriend neglected to find," she spat bitterly.

I felt my jaw clench.

"He left men there to investigate. If anyone is to be blamed, it's them and Adam will deal with that. He's looking into it, so don't make any rash conclusions before you have actual facts, Vega. That's extremely unfair."

"Are you actually defending him?" She asked incredulously.

I took a deep breath. "Yes."

I heard Vega let out a breathy laugh.

"Well, that didn't take long."

"What?" I asked.

"You getting used to the high and mighty life. God, I knew this would happen to you! You used to be so strong-willed and stubborn and now that you're mated to an Alpha you think you can just forget about things that happen here because it doesn't affect you."

I was speechless at her outburst.

The line was silent for a few moments before Vega sighed. 

"Whatever, I don't expect you to understand. I know you hate your dad, but mine actually loved me so I want him back-"

I hung up the phone.

Too far, Vega.

I knew she was hurt but that stung. I sat down on the bed thinking about everything she said. 

I've barely been here a few days, I can't have already changed. Maybe she's just jealous that I've got a mate and she doesn't. 

I let out a snicker. She can have mine if she wants him.

The smile on my face fell as her comment about my dad began to play over and over again in my mind. "I know you hate your dad, but mine actually loved me..."

The bedroom door opened and Adam walked in slowly. "How is she?" He asked, closing the door behind him.

I just nodded.

"What's the matter?" He asked as he made his way over to where I sat.

"Nothing," I said shortly.

His hand reached out to touch my face and his thumb wiped a tear from my cheek.

Although the gesture was affectionate, I looked up to meet his gaze and his face was expressionless. I couldn't tell what Adam was thinking.

"Don't lie to me," he said, his voice low. 

His cerulean blue eyes were like a truth serum, as soon as I looked at him I couldn't hold it in. "She said something really rude about my dad," I sighed, looking away.

Adam's hand fell from my face and he sat down next to me on the bed, his weight on the mattress causing me to lean into him.

"She probably wasn't wrong," he said flatly. "But, hurt people hurt people, so don't let it get to you."

Was that supposed to help?

"Is that why you're so angry all the time?" I asked. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I regretted them.