Chapter Twelve - He's a Better Kisser

"You can leave."

Adam didn't need to tell Victoria twice. She gave me one last, hard look before walking around us and out of the dining room.

"I'm sorry," Adam apologized.

"I thought you said she wanted to have breakfast with us?" I asked him.

Xavier spoke up. "That would be my fault. I orchestrated breakfast. I assumed she would have wanted to meet you."

Adam pulled out a chair for me to sit in.

"Don't let her ruin your appetite," he said.

Well it's too late for that.

I sat down, as did Adam and Xavier.

Our meal was brought out by servants, all dressed in black. They removed Victoria's placemat and silverware and filled our plates with food.

Looking at the food, I felt my hunger dissipate. I didn't want it anymore. I couldn't get Victoria's words out of my head.

Why does she not like me?

Xavier and Adam both sat there awkwardly eating, watching me stare at my food.

I finally picked up my fork and ate a strawberry. Eventually, all the food was gone from my plate and Adam and Xavier had finished as well.

"Still hungry?" Adam asked.

I shook my head.

"Well, I've got some things I need to take care of this morning," Adam said. "Do you want to meet me for lunch later?"

I nodded. "Sure."

He got up from the table and gave me a wink as he walked away.

"How are things with him?" Xavier asked.

"They're good."

The look on his face didn't show me he was entirely convinced.

"It's a full moon tonight," he said warily.

Immediately, my shoulders slumped.

"Again?!" I asked with exasperation.

"It's a Blue Moon," Xavier explained. "There hasn't been one in almost two years."

"Of course it would happen again during the month I meet Adam," I huffed, propping my elbows on the table top and placing my head in my hands.

This is not what I need right now.

My heart was beating out of my chest at the thought of going through Heat again. Adam's warning from a few days prior began to swirl in my mind: "It's supposed to be more painful the longer you resist."

"What do I do?" I asked.

Xavier almost answered, but the servants returned and began to take away the dishes.

We waited in silence for the last of them to leave the room.

He leaned in and lowered his voice. "The way I see it, you have two options: First, you can consummate your relationship and not have to worry about it again."

He observed the look on my face as he said this and continued.

"Or, you can leave the castle for the night to get away and have some privacy. It gets much worse each time, so this one will not be just a heat stroke, it will be painful."

I swallowed the knot in my throat. "Maybe I should talk to Adam and see what he thinks."

"Wise," Xavier said, giving me a grim smile.