Chosen - Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

He nodded. "You look very lovely."

I could feel my cheeks flush. "Thank you, majesty."

My gown was a very dark shade of blue with white paneling. The trumpet sleeves folded back to reveal a black fur. My neckline was trimmed in white that matched the paneling.

"We need to talk later."

"Okay."

"I will call a meeting with Francis and Claude. I plan on you coming home with me after our summit here."

A slight twinge of pain hit my heart hearing him say it. Even after these three days I knew I would have to leave Claude's household. I just never expected it to happen so soon. Cassius moved on as I stood there.

"Mistress Joselyn," the king's secretary bowed as I curtsied.

"Mister Wallery, it is so very nice to see you again." I forced a smile.

"I trust you have been well?"

"Yes, very well. Thank you."

"The king spoke with you?"

"Briefly."

He pursed his lips.

"What, Mister Wallery?"

"There have been things going on about the kingdom that are quite concerning."

I narrowed my eyes and listened intently. "I see."

"I believe the king to be in danger."

"The king? Why do you think that?" I questioned.

He slipped a letter to me before walking on. I put the paper in the pocket of my gown and continued along saying hello to old friends and meeting new people, until I came to the king's sister.

"Joselyn. How lovely to see you."

"Princess Mary, how are you doing?" I dipped into another curtsey.

"I am well. How are you doing?"

"Well."

"I've heard rumors that you are returning to court soon. Is that true?" she questioned.

"I believe so. Your brother, the king, briefly mentioned something."

She narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips. Mary hate me, I always got along a lot better with Cassius. She never had a very caring personality and it showed more as she grew older.

"I'm sure your parents are pleased."

"I would imagine they are as we have not seen each other in some time."

"Good day, Lady Joselyn."

I dipped into another curtsey. The steel blade attached to my thigh pierced my skin. I tried to hide the wince of pain as blood trickled down my thigh.

She quickly moved along, followed by her accompaniment of ladies. I stood watching as the young woman walked away. She was a few years older than Cassius and highly jealous of the fact she was passed over for the crown.

"She's not so bad," a soft voice said behind me.

I spun on my heels, ending up staring into the beautiful eyes of Cassius. A soft smile played on his lips.

"I'm sure she's the sweetest."

He let out a small chuckle and held out his hand. "Dance?"

I nodded, accepting his hand. As we merged with the other courtiers who were dancing, a galliard began. One of my favorites. The women twirled about, our gowns billowing. Everyone ate, drank and danced the night away.