Pain

Immune. ~Seqel to Dixon Daughter~

~Vallory's P.O.V.~

The next few days were just filled with pain, but I could feel my body slowly going numb. Dad kept me, Lenny, Ruth, Melody, and Bradley all in the same house so the soldiers didn't get us. I sat in my bed, hands trying to block out the sounds of heartbeats and rapid breathing that had become so much louder. Well, now at least I could see what it's like being a walker. Now I know how they always seem to find us, even when we're being silent. They can hear our heartbeats, our heavy breathing, but sometimes they just didn't care enough to attack. The memory of telling Carl about my condition pushed its way into my mind, my breathe hitched and a few tears left my eyes.

*Flashbacks*

Dad thought it was time for me to tell the Grimes (and Callista) about what Dr. Greene told us, so Carol invited them over for dinner. I was quiet the entire time, pushing food around the plate with a fork.

"Are you okay?" Carl asked, nudging my side. I shook my head causing Carl to furrow his eyebrows.

After awhile everyone finished eating and became engaged in avid small talk. Carol cleared her throat, dabbed her eyes, then spoke,

"Vallory would like to tell you all something very, very," Her voice broke and the tears I've been biting back broke free, "Very, important."

I took a shaky breath and stood up slowly, sniffling.

"Yesterday night, Dr. Greene came by to tell us some...news..." I gave a shaky sigh, "H-He told us that....There is no immunity."

Gasps rang around the dining room.

"That's crazy, you've been bitten before and you aren't a walker," Carl said, but I could see tears building up in those striking blue eyes.

"That's exactly what Carol told him," I let out a quiet (fake) laugh, "Dr. Greene said through all of the tests he's run, none show any sign of immunity. The Virus just runs slower in some people."

Carl stood up and left the room, I followed after him. He was sitting on the couch with his eyes to the ceiling.

"Carl," I whispered, sitting beside him, he ignored me, "Carl, please." I begged, I was crying again. Jesus, when did I become such a baby>

"I can't lose you Val," Carl cried, running a hand through his hair, "I just got you back."

"I don't want to die either, Carl. But Dr. Gree-"

"I don't care what Dr. Greene said!" Carl roared, then put his face in his hands, "There has to be some way..."

"Let's face it Carl, I'm infected," Remembrance flashed in his eyes, I said this to him one year ago after I was bit, "And this time... I am going to turn."

*Flashback Over*

Another shockwave of pain rippled through my body, I moaned. Screaming...I hear screaming. I pried my eyes open and saw Lenny on the floor, Bradly was on top of him. Ruth and Melody were crouched in a corner, bawling. Bradly was growling and clawing at my baby brother, his skin a sickly yellow. I stood up from my bed, my entire body protesting, and ran at Bradly. I knocked him off of Lenny and pinned him to the ground. His eyes were still red. Almost as an instinct, I bared my teeth and growled at the walker beneath me, it instantly stopped growling. It's skin seemed to change color, back to the tan I'm used to.

"W-What's going on? Val- Ah VALLORY!" Bradly wailed, I jumped back.

"B-Bradly?" I whimpered, he nodded slowly, I cried and tackled him in a hug, "I-I thought you were a walker. You were yellow and moaning you tried biting Lenny!"

"I-I don't remember any of that..." Bradly trailed, "And I thought you were one to..."

What was going on?