Meeting everyone

Meeting Everyone.

I sat up groggily from my new bed, stumbling out the door and down the steps. Everyone from the group I had met yesterday were there and a few new people.
"Hi." A girl with short brown hair chirped with a rich country accent, "You must be Vallory."
I nodded my head shyly.
"I'm Maggie" She smiled, reaching out her hand which I shook.
A cute Asian looking guy extended an arm, "Glenn," He said with a smile, "And before you ask, I'm Korean."
A man limped out from a cell, he was husky and had a snowy white beard and small white ponytail.
"Hi there Darling," The old man smiled, "I'm Hershal."
A tall dark haired woman walked out, she had a large belly. I was guessing she was pregnant.
"Hello, I'm Lori." The pregnant woman said, patting my shoulder. "Rick's wife." So Carl's mom.
A tall, well built, darker skinned woman pushed through the door, then rushed up the stairs, dreads hiding her face. Her katana bouncing off of her bag as she hurried up each step.
"That's Michonne. You'll get use to her." Maggie whispered, "She's been through a lot."
"We all have." A blonde girl who looked only a few years older than me piped in, "I'm Beth, by the way." She smiled.
"You people sure do smile a lot." I thought aloud then mentally facepalmed. The group just laughed. Rick suddenly showed up on the balcony above us and started telling orders.
"Hershal, go deal with the sick. Beth, go count supplies. Lori, go rest. Glenn and Maggie go scout the perimeter. And Vallory go help Carl in the gardens, got it?" He announced.
Everyone nodded and scurried off to their work stations. Carl was in the gardens yanking away at weeds and throwing them into a medium sized bucket. I awkwardly sat down next to him and started pulling weeds to.
"What're you doing?" He asked.
"Your dad- Um Rick- told me to help you in the garden. So, um, here I am." I mumbled.
"I don't need no help." I muttered.
"Any." I corrected quietly.
"What?
"You don't need any help." He rolled his eyes.
"Whatever."
We quietly pulled weeds for the next two hours. I saved that jerks life yesterday and he's treating me like crap. I wanted to punch up side his pretty little head. Wait, did I just call his head pretty? I was just being sarcastic, right? Okay, I have to admit, he is not ugly. The exact opposite actually. What am I thinking? Whatever, just focus on the weeds. Suddenly, a weed slipped and slit my palm open. I cursed loudly, pressing my hand to my shirt. Carl grabbed my hand, pulled a bandage out of his pocket and wrapped it.
"Jeese, be careful. Even the slightest cut can kill you, and we need all the help we can get here." He huffed, causing me to roll my eyes.
"Well, I'm hungry. Wanna go get food?" I stood up, dusting myself off.
"Sure." Carl said, dusting himself off also.
We raced inside and into the cafeteria, snatching a can of beans and sitting down. Carl stuck his tongue out at me, which was covered in chewed beans. I swatted his arm, then chuckled quietly.
"You know, we kind of got off on the wrong foot yesterday, sorry bout running into you and almost shooting you. So what do ya say, friends?"
"Friends." I said, shaking his outstretched hand.
Lori walked down and sat down on the floor in front of us.
"Hi guys," she said with a smile.
I smiled back and offered her some beans, and she took a small bite. We talked while we ate, it was nice. I felt like we were a family. I haven't had one in two years. No mom, no dad, no siblings. I wiped away a tear that I didn't notice fall until now.
"So Vallory, where's your family? Rick said he found you alone, running in the woods until you ran into Carl." Lori asked the one question I hoped no one would. I guess someone was going to sooner or later, but I hoped they wouldn't.
"Well, um.." I started awkwardly, "I lived in a town a couple miles from here with my m0m, step dad, and 5 adopted siblings. Harry, Tabitha, Lenny, Fawn, and Tom." I bit back tears at the mention of Tom.
"The military watched over us, killing any infected that wandered around. They told us they were Leprosy victims, or Lepers, though. When I was 11, my sister Tabitha took me to rob a store for supplies, incase we ever left. Harry died first, he was trying to help a Leper and got sick. Mark, my step dad, died after trying to throw my mom into a group of Lepers Next was Tabby, Lenny, and Fawn. Lastly was my mamma. Tom, my oldest sibling, decided it was time to leave. We survived a good year and a half before Tom got bit by an infected. I've been alone ever since. Avoiding groups and traveling to stay ahead of the biters. I was looting a store when a group of around 30 infected chased me into the woods where I ran into Carl. Your group took pity on me I guess and here I am." I couldn't help but cry, the memories like a fresh wound.
"Where was your dad during all of this?" Lori gasped.
"Never met him." I stated simply. Lori patted my hand sympathetically, Carl gave me an awkward side hug.
"Well you're welcome to be a part of our family." She smiled. I smiled and nodded my head.
I went to bed that night feeling good. Carl and I were friends, Lori treated me like a daughter, and now I had a family. Of course, it didn't last long. Reality forbids me to be happy.