Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, for having me come out here and stay with you. I needed this, I really did." Elena said, tears welling up into her eyes.

"Of course. Honey, you're always welcome here." Jenna replied, reassuring her as she cupped her face into her hands and pulled her in for another hug. They stood like that for a while until Alaric cleared his throat from behind them.

"Are we ready to go?" He asked, hands in his pockets as he smiled at his wife.

"Yeah, we are." Elena replied, swallowing the lump in her throat and sighing out a breath.

They walked in sync with each other, not really saying much until Alaric spoke up, directing his attention to Elena. "So, you got any plans until you leave?" He asked.

She shook her head. Elena hadn't really thought about it. Just packing her things and maybe helping Jenna find a new rental place so that she could rebuild her business.

"I wanted to help you guys find a new place for the salon." She said, staring at her uncle as he glanced over at her.

"That'd be a good idea. But, Elena. We don't really know any realtors that could find us a decent place for lease in a quick manner. And-." Elena cut him off with a shy smile.

"I do, " She paused. "I know someone good and reliable and she's very sweet." She stated, watching Jenna and Alaric give each other an odd look.

"If this person has anything to do with that man, Stefan. I don't need her." Jenna made it clear, narrowing her eyes at her niece as she watched Elena push the button to the elevators that lead down to the second parking garage floor.

"Well, she kind of does. But, not really." Elena explained a little further stepping inside of the elevator and waiting for them to close as she watched both Alaric and Jenna turn back to speak with her.

"Elena, we can figure this out on our own. We really want nothing to do with that man or his business ventures." Alaric lectured, watching her shift her weight nervously.

"Can I just talk to her. Please? Listen, he and I are done and after what he did to us. I don't want anything to do with him anymore." Elena stated, attempting to convince herself that the last thing she needed in her life right now was Stefan Salvatore. But, deep down she knew that she was lying to herself.

"Fine. Talk to whoever you need to speak with. But, just so that you know. We're not going to take his help, if it comes down to it. He put us in this mess in the first place. I'd be completely content if I never saw that manipulative man again. And, as far as you go. Honey, I really hope that you're done with him. Because, let's be honest. Stefan just didn't seem right for you."

Elena nodded, Jenna was partly right. However, her heart was telling her a different story. "Yeah, I guess I'll go back home to Matt, right? Because, he's sure been loyal to me." She stated in a sarcastic tone.

"Elena." Jenna began to say, reaching out to grab her arm as Elena pushed past them and walked straight towards Alaric's silver Ford truck.

"He was a good boyfriend and I guess that's what I need right now, I need something stable as Matt is for me. You know, even if I haven't spoken to him for nearly two months and that we broke it off before I came here. I'm pretty sure that we can figure things out." Elena told her, shrugging her shoulders back and climbing into the truck.

Jenna placed her hands on top of her head, leaning against Alaric when she heard the passenger side door slam shut. "She's just anxious about getting back home and to her old life." He said, kissing her cheek as he walked over to the driver's side.

"Sure she is." Jenna muttered under her breath in an irritated tone. The last thing she wanted before Elena left was to cause a war with her niece that she had quickly became close with. So, she figured that the best thing to do was if she allowed Elena to do whatever she wanted before she went back home.