Chapter Eighteen

-Must Love Dogs- Chapter Eighteen-

"It's just a sprained ankle. Bonnie and I thought it would be nice to go for a hike and well, I tripped and fell down a small little ledge. It's not that big of a deal, Elena. Please, just stay in Florida. And, tell Aunt Jenna to calm down." Jeremy told his sister with a laugh, leaning back against the pillows in his living room as he turned to watch Bonnie walk in, crossing her arms over her chest as she extended out her hand towards him. Telling him to either put it on speaker or give her the phone.

"Really, Elena. He's fine, your mom and I have been keeping an eye on him since it happened earlier this morning. Jenna just panicked. Look, we were actually planning on coming and seeing you all in a few weeks. And, your mom said that she wants to join us as well." Bonnie explained, leaning towards the phone as she smiled over at her boyfriend and they both heard Elena exhale heavily.

"Jenna made it sound like you were horribly injured! She nearly gave me a heart attack!" Elena replied harshly, reminding herself that she'd have to tell her aunt to not call her like that again and make her think the worst immediately.

"No, to be honest sweetheart. Your brother is fine. Although, he misses you. Just like I do." Elena heard her mother's voice break into the conversation and she closed her eyes as she stood outside Stefan's house, walking out towards a bench he had in his front yard to sit down as she spoke to her family.

"I miss you all too. I want to come home." Elena said honestly. She missed them, she missed her bedroom and all the places she loved to go out to. She missed the cool Oregon breeze and the beautiful lush greenery. She missed everything about her hometown. But most importantly, she missed her family.

"I know you do, honey. That's why Jenna and I are in talks about the three of us coming to visit you there. Plus, I think we could all use some more sun." Her mother joked, overhearing in the background that Stefan was asking Elena if she was okay and what was going on.

"Just my brother, he sprained his ankle." Elena commented, listening as her mother sighed out a breath before asking. "Is that young man that Jenna told me all about still around. Are you seeing him?" Her voice was hopeful as Elena watched Stefan smile at her, placing his hand out for her to take it.

"It's complicated. Listen, mom. I'm going to need to cut this short. But, I really hope that the three of you will be able to come here and visit us. I miss you." Elena told her, feeling Stefan's hand gently grasp on to hers before she heard her mother say that she loved her and that she'd be calling her soon again.

Stefan watched Elena hang up the phone, still gripping her hand when he leaned into her and moved a strand of hair away from her face, his thumb lingering against her cheek. "That was your mother, wasn't it?"

Elena nodded. "Yeah..." Her voice trailed off as he moved his hand away and looked out towards her car. "You don't need to explain, Elena. Trust me, what you and I are is very complicated. And, I get it. However, I meant what I said to you. You're the only person in my life right now that is keeping me from losing my mind, I like you and I like having you around. And, I'm sorry about dragging you into my mess of a life." Stefan said in an apologetic tone, placing her hand into his lap as he felt her head rest against his shoulder and they both sat on the bench, looking out towards her car.

"You don't need to apologize for that. My life was a mess before I came here. You know, I was dating a guy that I thought I was going to marry. I left him behind because I was scared of getting too close to him. I wanted to run far away from home, as far as I could because of my feelings. So, I did. And, when I came here and I met you…..." Her voice cracked a little when she felt his thumb glide over her hand, a gentle back and forth motion that made Elena smile widely.