Chapter Four

Enjoy & thank you so much for reading!

Follow me on Twitter for updates at:Be_Passionate24

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Four

It was true. Caroline Forbes had been in love with Stefan Salvatore for so long now that she had never really thought of ever not loving him. Everything about Stefan made Caroline smile and happy. Even when she was in college and had just broken up with her boyfriend at the time, Tyler Lockwood. Caroline had knocked on Stefan's dorm room in the middle of the night, sobbing and shaking from the cold winter night as Stefan took her inside and helped her understand why Tyler just didn't want to be in her life anymore. Saying that it wasn't her, most likely during their time in college that the dynamics of Caroline and Tyler's relationship had shifted and it could have been that's what drove Tyler away.

He made them both a cup of hot chocolate and they sat and talked, for hours. Eventually, the thoughts of how hard it was for Caroline to think about being with someone else vanished when Stefan leaned over towards her and said. "You'll be just fine, Caroline. I promise you that one day. You'll find someone who makes you laugh, who loves you for who you are and who will help you heal your broken heart. He's out there somewhere, you probably just haven't met him yet."

"I know." She had sniffled when she leaned her head against his shoulder and felt him wrap his arms around her, stroking her hair gently. They had a history together, growing up together as little kids and living right next door to each other in their large suburban neighborhood had helped build their bond as well. Caroline knew nearly everything about him and his family. She had been by his side when his father handed him the keys to SD Realty and told him that it was all now up to him and Damon to run the company. Caroline Forbes had also been such a huge part of the Salvatore family over the years that when Damon had gotten married to Katherine, Caroline was asked to be a part of it all. She had gone dress showing with Katherine and had helped pick out the brides maid dresses, eventually landing herself the spot of maid of honor in Damon and Katherine's wedding party.

Although, recently. She had also seen Stefan spiral into oblivion which made her more than worried for what would happen if anything else came his way that was a little too much handle. However, Caroline knew that Stefan could handle just about anything and that he never gave himself enough credit for it, always saying hiding behind his strong and masculine attitude of 'nothing could ever hurt him.'

As Caroline slowly got up from hovering above the broken china dish in the kitchen and smiled, she watched Stefan get up from his seat too and walk over to her, pulling her along with him into the spacious living room at his brother's house, ignoring the small talk that was going on in the kitchen when he gently pushed Caroline back against the wall and took her hand into his, examining it cautiously.

"Your hand is bleeding." He pointed out, talking to her sweetly as she glanced up at him, her voice shaking when she spoke.

"It's nothing. It's totally fine. Stefan. I should probably get going and let you spend time with your family. I have a lot of work to do once I get home and a long day tomorrow." She tried to explain as he took a step back and smiled at her, his best friend that he cared so much about.

"Stay, Caroline. Come and have dinner with us. I'm sure that Katherine made enough food to feed an army in there. Just..Please stay." He commented, locking his green gaze on to her as she exhaled deeply and shook her head at him.

"I can't, Stefan. I'm sorry." She replied once more, looking around the room to make her quick exit. She couldn't be around him anymore, she couldn't keep her feelings in check and at any minute- she was bound to do something completely irrational just based off of her emotions alone and the sweet, worried look in his eyes that he had for her.