Chapter Nine

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Nine

"You're going where! Alaric, are you hearing what she's telling me?" Jenna asked her the next morning, nearly coughing out the coffee that she was having a hard time swallowing down.

Elena shrugged her shoulders back, pushing off the counter top as she poured herself a cup of coffee and attempted to leave the kitchen without having to listen to Alaric give her the third degree for agreeing on a 'non-date' with Stefan Salvatore.

"It's not a date." Elena commented, taking a long drawn out sip of her coffee, her eyes peering over the red mug in her hands as Alaric squeezed Jenna's shoulders and she leaned into him, laughing nearly hysterically, with an undertone of what Elena knew was sheer anger at her niece's choice.

"That man has tried to ruin my life. First you go behind my back, training his dog and now, you're going on a date with him? Are you ill, sweetie…..Are you sure this heat hasn't gotten to you?" Jenna asked, stepping away from Alaric as he chuckled a little. His laughter quickly stopped though when Jenna pivoted on her heels and glared at him. "This isn't funny, Ric! She's about to be swept into the arms of the enemy!"

"That's a little over the top and harsh..Don't you think?" Alaric asked her with a slight smile as she brushed past him, swatting at his arm.

"I'm calling your mother!" Jenna bellowed from the living room, taking the gray portable phone into her hands and crossing her legs over one another as she sat on the couch.

Elena stood in the kitchen stunned, suddenly feeling a bit sick as she glanced over at Alaric who was attempting to stifle his laughter.

"Is she seriously going to call my mother..What am I, 16?" Elena asked him, hearing him exhale deeply as he shook his head.

"Elena. She just doesn't like the idea of you going out with the man who's trying to ruin us. I mean, no offense. But, she does have a point. Although, he's kind of big deal and you being seen with him could land you in a few gossip columns too. People will talk, Elena. And, it won't be good for our already struggling business." Alaric explained as Elena huffed out a breath, rubbing her hands over her face right after she placed her coffee cup down.

"It's not a date. Look, Alaric. I'm trying to get under his skin and convince him that he shouldn't demolish everything that Jenna and you have worked for. It's not like I even like him, I can't stand the guy. So, don't worry- no feelings will be involved tonight. It's just business." Elena told him, firmly believing that what she was saying was true.

"No feelings involved? Honey, you're a 24 year old woman who left home to move here. He's the first guy you've met since you got here. Believe me, I'd be shocked if you didn't at least have some sort of underline feelings towards him." Jenna scoffed, getting up from her seat on the couch as she walked back into the kitchen, placing the portable phone on to the countertop and watching as Elena cleared her throat to speak. But, quickly got interupted.

"Elena, I was your age once. I know how these things work. Cute guy takes you out, cute guy offers to buy you dinner. Next thing you know, you're married to him!" Jenna stated, gazing up at Alaric who was struggling to keep his composure with the straight laced tone of conversation.

"I promise. I'm not going to let them rule my judgement. Jenna, he's not worth it. I don't like him like that. I just agreed to this to find out more about him so that we could dig up some dirt on him. Believe me, Stefan is a train wreck. He's really not dating material." Elena commented, pivoting on her heels as she smiled at Jenna over her shoulder.

"I want him to pick you up from the house. I want to meet him. He sounds interesting and he's like a celebrity in these parts. It's kind of cool." Alaric blurted out, watching as both Jenna and Elena looked up at him with wide eyes. "Excuse me?" Jenna asked, trying to wrap her mind around what her husband had just said.