- 47 -

Tess stepped out into the sun, breathing in the scent of early June flowers and listening to the chatter of hundreds of students and their loved ones as they milled around in the courtyard in front of the school. She looked up at her own parents, smiling, and clutched her diploma tightly to her chest.

High school was over. Tess wouldn't miss it. The only thing that had weighed on her mind that day was the fact that she'd no longer have a reason to meet up with Miguel. He'd helped her through the final months of English coursework, picking up like they'd never left off. She'd realized that morning as she waited for her turn to walk across the stage how much she'd miss his presence in her life.-

"Tess!"

Turning, Tess saw Jacqui pushing toward her through the crowd. She wore a gold stole that read VALEDICTORIAN, and a cord in red, white, and blue for French honor society. Tess darted toward her with her arms wide open, and Jacqui fell into her embrace with a laugh. "Congratulations!" she sang.

"Congratulations to you, Jacqui! Your speech was incredible!" Tess said.

"Aw, Tess—thank you! I worked so hard on it, but I'm glad it's done. It is not easy to talk in front of that many people."

"You didn't seem nervous at all."

There was a couple standing behind Jacqui; she turned slightly to include them in the circle and said, "This is my dad, Andre, and my mom, Valerie. Mom, Dad, this is Tess."

"Hi," Tess said.

"It's such a pleasure to meet you, Tess. Congratulations," said Andre, shaking her hand warmly.

Tess smiled at him. "It's nice to meet you too! Jacqui is such a good friend. These are my parents, Clarette and Robert."

"Jacqui," Clarette said, taking Jacqui's hand with a smile. "It's so nice to meet you at last. Your speech was easily the best graduation speech I've ever heard, and I've heard a few."

Jacqui shrugged modestly as her parents and Tess's exchanged handshakes and greetings. "Thanks. That's really kind. Tess, I hope I can catch up with you before everything wraps up here, but I'm just gonna make the rounds and give hugs. You look good in a mortar board, girl!"

"Not half as good as you do in that sash," Tess replied. She happily waved as Jacqui turned away with her parents, rushing off to greet a group of friends who had assembled a short distance away.

"Hmm, that's interesting," said Robert, squinting at something in the distance.

"What?" Tess followed his gaze, and her heart stopped.

There, weaving through the crowd, was a very familiar face—a face that had been on her mind constantly throughout the day as she celebrated her greatest life's achievement.

"Very interesting," said Clarette. "He looks so familiar."

"Miguel came?" Tess breathed.

"It seemed that you had neglected to invite him," her mom explained, "so I took the liberty."

"What?" Tess looked at her mom, bewildered.

"You two can talk about it later, punkin. Go save Miguel from that woman," said Tess's dad.

The woman in question was none other than Ms. Keene, and Miguel didn't look like he needed saving; when Tess turned around again, he was just breaking away from a hug, and he was saying something to her with a broad smile. Tess started in their direction.

She felt odd; her pulse was racing. Why? She knew Miguel well. What did she have to be nervous about?

He noticed her coming and turned that brilliant smile her way. Ms. Keene, following his look, lit up.