- 33 -

"I know what you could get me for Christmas," Isaac said, kissing Tess's cheek. The sound of rattling pins two lanes over punctuated his comment as a man bowled a strike, and a chorus of cheers quickly followed.

"What's that?" Tess leaned down to tie her other bowling shoe. She wondered why bowling shoes had to be so ugly, and so obvious about being ugly. They couldn't be plain or understated—they had to be bold maroon and navy, half and half. "And who's to say I haven't already gotten you a Christmas present?"

"Have you?"

Tess grinned. "Um, hello. Bowling is my treat, remember? Merry Christmas."

Isaac laughed. "Oh, okay. Great present. Thanks, babe."

"You know I'm just kidding." Tess finished tying her shoe and sat back in the swivel chair at the small table in front of their lane. She actually hadn't gotten Isaac a present yet, and now it was the day before Christmas Eve and she was running out of time. She'd been trying in vain to come up with an idea, but guys were so hard to buy for. It was even more complicated because Tess didn't like thinking about Christmas presents, or anything to do with Christmas. The most she had mustered for her small group of friends at school had been bags of holiday candy wrapped up with pretty ribbons. At least everyone's appreciation had seemed genuine, and most of them had given small presents, too.

"If that's the case, are you open for suggestions?"

"Sure." Tess turned her attention to him, trying to enjoy the moment. She couldn't let the grief she felt facing the holidays cloud this perfect date.

Isaac sat down in the swivel chair next to hers and put an arm around her shoulder. He leaned in so close that his breath tickled her ear when he whispered, "Stay over tonight."

Startled, Tess turned to look at him, her face inches from his. "What?"

"Stay over tonight," he repeated. "My dad is visiting his sister in Georgia and he isn't driving home until Christmas Day. The house is empty."

"Why aren't you with him?" Tess asked, which was the first question that presented itself through her confusion.

"I didn't want to cancel our date. Family stuff can be lame, anyway. Dad didn't mind."

Tess met his gaze, uncertain what to say.

"So?" He prompted, laying his hand over hers, which rested on her thigh. "We'll be alone. It's perfect."

"I have to be home by 11:30," Tess said, a blush flooding across her cheeks as the reality of his suggestion began to sink in.

"I can get you home by 11:30 if you have to be—that's not a problem."

"Isaac, I...I wasn't expecting this." Tess had thought about her relationship with Isaac quite a bit, and had even thought about the physical aspects of a relationship; he was her first boyfriend, but she wasn't too naive to guess what he was asking.

But they'd only been officially dating since Homecoming, and that had only been a couple of months ago. They had been hanging out regularly since then, and their Homecoming kiss had been followed by many more, but the thought of taking things a step further—of being alone with him in his house, in his room, and everything that might entail—caused her heart to race more with anxiety than excitement.

"Don't you think it's a little...soon?" she said, smiling at him so he would know she wasn't offended.

"Soon?" he echoed. He searched her face, as if considering. "I can see I surprised you. I guess I thought we were heading in that direction."

"We are," Tess said hastily. "I think we are."

One of the bowling alley employees approached their table. "Everything working over here, kids?" he said. Past him, Tess could see a couple of groups of people waiting near the service counter; the lanes were all packed with families in high holiday spirits.

"Working just fine—we were just getting ready to put our names in," Isaac replied. He got to his feet, still holding Tess's hand, and she followed his lead.

"Good," said the man. "Enjoy." He continued down the lanes, picking up empty pitchers and drink cups on his way.

"Isaac, I—"

"It's no problem, Tess. Forget I asked," said Isaac. He smiled at her, reaching out to brush her hair back from her face. "We can talk about it later."

Tess nodded. "I just don't want to rush things."

"I get it. It's a big step." Isaac began typing their names into the bowling lane monitor. "Even though I brought it up in the world's most romantic location."

With the sound of clattering pins and shouts surrounding them and the faint scent of beer on the air, Tess had to laugh, and the tension of the moment dissolved.

She had a wonderful time on their date, but Isaac's invitation was never far from her mind. And as he drove her home later that evening, she looked down at Isaac's hand resting on her knee and wondered.

"Thanks for driving, again," Tess said as they pulled up in front of her house.

"It's no problem. I know you don't like to." Isaac knew Julia had died in a car crash, and he had never complained about driving them everywhere they went.

Smiling at him, Tess unbuckled her seat belt. "I'll see you on Monday?"

Isaac leaned in, shifting his weight on his seat, and kissed her in the darkened car. Tess closed her eyes, responding to the kiss. Her pulse thrumming, she leaned in closer, reaching up to rest her hand on Isaac's collar as he deepened the kiss, extending the moment. She felt the gentle weight of his hand on her knee slide upward a few inches, warm through the fabric of her jeans. Then he broke the kiss and leaned down to brush his lips over her neck.

Tess giggled as the sensation of his kiss traveled down her spine. "Isaac," she whispered. "We're in my driveway."

"It's dark," he whispered back, kissing her neck. "No one can see in."

"You don't know that."

He leaned in even closer, his hand sliding further up her leg. He kissed her collarbone. "It's just a kiss, babe."

"Isaac, please." Tess placed her hand over his, pushing it gently away, and pulled back from his searching lips. "Please. Not here."

He looked at her for a moment, his expression carefully blank, and then sighed, breaking away. "I guess it's good night?"

"Good night." She opened her car door, searching his expression. "I'm sorry."

With a crooked smile, Isaac shrugged. "Don't be sorry, Tess. You're right: Batman's probably up there with binoculars. Talk to you tomorrow?"

"I'll text you." She leaned in for one last, brief kiss. "'Night."

Tess shut the car door and hurried up to the house, feeling a confused mixture of emotions.