- 30 -

When Tess stepped into the high school gym on Isaac's arm, she felt like a queen. Looking around, she saw dozens of her classmates and underclassmen milling around in groups of three or four. Light, upbeat music played—something popular Tess had heard on the radio, although she didn't know the name of the song.

Isaac guided her toward a table set up along one wall. "Want some punch? Then we can have something to hold while we just kind of stand here waiting for people we know."

"I thought it was a dance?" Tess asked.

As he edged into line at the punch table, Isaac said, "Yeah, but we're a little early. They won't start really playing music until later—you know how it goes."

Tess shrugged. "To be honest, I don't know. I've never been to a dance before."

Isaac raised his brows. "What? Really? Man, I knew you were from kind of the middle of nowhere, but I would have thought they still had homecoming."

She nudged his arm. "Be nice! Of course they did. I just never went. No one ever asked me. I guess I didn't see the point otherwise."

"Not to hang out with friends? Tons of people come without dates." As their turn came in the line, Isaac reached for the ladle and poured them each a small plastic cup of green punch. "I'm not sure what's in this, and I'm not sure I want to know."

"It looks like sherbet." Tess accepted the glass he handed to her and took a sip. "Hmm. Lime. Interesting choice."

"Go Eagles," Isaac said. He nodded to the sparkling lights that had been hung around the gym for decorations, which were in shades of green and blue—their school colors. As they walked away from the punch bowl, he continued, "Did you really never have anyone ask you to the dance? What about prom last year?"

Tess's pulse quickened for a moment. "No...remember, I missed the second half of last year."

"Oh, God. I'm sorry, Tess. I forgot." In the course of their conversations, Isaac had heard more about Tess's sister and how her death had caused Tess to take a leave from school.

"It's all right, Isaac. No, I didn't do prom. But I'm not sure it would have been fun, anyway."

"Well, let's see how this year goes. Maybe if we're still into each other, you'll have a prom date come April." He had drawn to a stop under a swag of glittering lights, which cast a blue glow onto his face.

Tess looked up at him. "Oh? Into each other?"

He winced. "Damn, I guess I gave myself away."

She softly laughed. "You're not very subtle. But I'm glad. It's nice to know what you're thinking."

"Well, then, I'd hate to disappoint you. Want to know what I'm thinking now?" Isaac reached for her hand.

Meeting his gaze, she nodded.

"I'm thinking we should make this official. Will you be my girlfriend, Tess?"

Heart soaring, Tess nodded her head. "Yes, Isaac. I will."

At just that moment, a new song started, and the music doubled in volume.

"There it is!" said Isaac. He drained his punch. "I am not much of a dancer, especially to fast songs."

"I've never danced before—not really danced, I mean." Tess looked uncertainly at the dance floor, which had flooded with students, all of whom seemed to know more or less what they were doing out there.

"There's no rush. Oh! Hey, I want you to meet my friends." Isaac took Tess by the upper arm and guided her over to a group of boys on the other side of the gym. As soon as she saw where they were going, Tess recognized the boys, and her heart sank.