- 16 -

Tess floated through the doors of the school on Monday, her book bag slung over her shoulder. She said "Good morning" to students she hadn't met and teachers she didn't know, and when she got to her locker, where Jacqui was waiting, she couldn't keep the grin from her face.

"Well?" Jacqui demanded. "You didn't text me back at all yesterday!"

"You sent me six million texts, Jacqui. I think my phone overloaded." Tess fiddled with the combination lock to open her locker door and began to unload her books.

"It did not!"

"Okay, it didn't—my brain did."

Jacqi scoffed. "Come on! I'm dying. How did it go with Isaac?"

"It was great." Tess looked around the locker door and smiled. "Really great."

"What did y'all do after the movie?"

"Nothing. He just took me home—Mom wanted me home by supper time."

"And?" Jacqui raised her eyebrows.

"And what?" Tess gathered her things for her first class, glancing up at the clock on the wall.

"And did he kiss you, or what?"

Startled, Tess shut her locker a little too hard. "What? No. It was just our first date. He was a perfect gentleman the whole time."

"A little peck on the cheek don't mean he ain't a gentleman," Jacqui said. "Tess, you're so cute. So when are you seein' him again?"

Tess hugged her books to her chest and shrugged. "I don't know, but maybe soon. I hope soon. I had a really good time with him, Jacqui."

A new voice broke into their conversation. "Hey, Tess!"

It was Isaac. Tess's heart leapt into her throat. At first, she was afraid Isaac might have overheard her conversation with Jacqui—but, thank goodness, he was halfway across the hall. She waved at him as he wove through the current of students toward them. "Good morning, Isaac."

"Hope you had a good rest of your weekend. Hey." Isaac nodded to Jacqui.

"This is Jacqui," Tess said.

"They stick the new kids close together. Safety in numbers," Jacqui said, gesturing at her locker. "Nice to meet you. Sorry to run, but I gotta get to class." Throwing Tess a grin, Jacqui darted around Isaac and disappeared into the flow of students making their way to their first classes.

As embarrassing as Jacqui's apparent interest in her love life was, Tess could not help but smile. Jacqui was a good friend, showing all the enthusiasm and excitement Tess was too shy to express herself. Tess made a mental note to be just as over-the-top if Jacqui wound up with a crush.

She was drawn back into the moment by Isaac, who gestured with his books. "Walk you to class?"

"Are you sure? It's so far out of your way," Tess joked, beginning to walk toward the Spanish class they shared.

Isaac laughed. "I don't mind, he said. "Hey, I had a really good time Saturday. I mean, I told you then, but I just wanted to remind you."

"I did, too. Thank you for taking me to the movie. It was really good."

"We should hang out again sometime."

"Yeah." Tess tried to keep herself from bouncing as she walked. Play it cool. "Maybe I can treat you to Pizza Guys?"

Isaac opened his mouth in mock surprise. "What? You basically read my mind."

They'd reached the door to the Spanish classroom, where Señora López stood greeting the students who filtered in, the ever-present mug of coffee in one hand. "We can figure it out?" suggested Tess.