- 29 -

"Just let me get a picture," said Tess's mother, fumbling for her phone. She was smiling ear to ear, her excitement obvious for everyone to see—even for Tess, who was plenty excited on her own.

"Mom," she said, patting her hair. "You're so embarrassing."

"Then it's just as well Isaac isn't here yet," said Tess's dad. Looking around in surprise, Tess saw her dad standing in the doorway of her room. He had crept up on them, and now he was looking at her with a tender smile. "You look beautiful, punkin," he said.

Tess dropped her hands from her hair and smiled at her father. Then she glanced back at her reflection in the full-length mirror. Clarette had pinned Tess's hair up in cute little twists, ornamented with a clip that glittered with rhinestones. Wearing the knee-length blue dress, with its beaded designs sparkling prettily in the light, Tess did feel beautiful. Even the shoes were perfect; she could walk in them, and they were just right for the dress.

"Thanks, Daddy," she said, meeting his gaze in the mirror.

"Isaac's going to be here at 6:30?" asked Clarette. "Turn around, baby, let me get a good photo."

Tess turned and smiled at her mother, who held up her cell phone. "Yes, I think so."

"Well, we'll need to get a few pictures when he gets here. You're going to have such a good time, honey."

"I hope so," said Tess. "But I'm a little worried. I don't know how to dance."

Clarette laughed. "Neither do any of the other kids who'll be there, honey. I'm sorry to say it, but what people do nowadays is hardly dancing. You'll get the hang of it."

Just then, the doorbell rang. "I'll get it," said Robert. "Should I tell him you'll be another two hours?"

"Dad!" Tess cried.

"She'll be down in a second. Where's your clutch, honey? Ah." Clarette picked up the sparkly bag setting on Tess's desk. "Got everything? Safety pins, Band-Aids, Q-tips, tissues, and a couple of aspirin. Excellent."

"Do you think I'll need all that stuff? Band-Aids, really?"

"Trust me. Those are practically new shoes—you're at risk for blisters. Besides, if your makeup doesn't smudge, your friend's might; it's always good to be the one who came prepared."

"Should I go down?"

Clarette reached out to touch Tess's cheek, looking at her fondly. "Yes. You should go save Isaac from your father. I hope you and he both have a wonderful time tonight, Tess. I really do."

Tess gave her mother a hug. Then, Clarette handed her the clutch full of its first response paraphernalia, and Tess hastened out of her room.

Downstairs, Isaac and Tess's dad were standing in the kitchen, both of them looking uncomfortable. When Tess rounded the corner, Robert smiled; then he looked at Isaac, whose face had lit up.

"Wow, Tess. You look beautiful," he said.

She held her clutch in both hands, feeling shy. "And you look really handsome," she said. He'd chosen a crisp, white button-down, gray slacks, and a vest, and his tie was almost an exact match for the shade of Tess's dress.

"So you've met my dad?" she said, nodding to Robert.

"Yeah." Isaac glanced at Robert, smiling. "And that must be your mom? Hi, I'm Isaac."

Tess glanced over her shoulder to see Clarette just behind her. She stepped out of the way as her mother and Isaac met halfway, each reaching to shake hands.

"It's so good to meet you," Clarette said. "You look very dapper tonight."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"I hate to be predictable, but I'm going to need about six dozen pictures." Tess's mom gestured for Tess and Isaac to come closer together. They found a spot against a wall, and Tess edged close enough to Isaac that their arms were nearly touching. They stood still as Clarette took several photos.

"Sorry about this," Tess whispered.

"Why? They'll be great pics," Isaac whispered back.

"All right, now, you kids have fun. Isaac, I've heard the dance is over at 11:00, is that true?"

"Yes, ma'am. I think so."

"Okay; I'll expect Tess home at 11:30. Just call if you need anything."

"It's good to meet you, son," said Robert. He reached out to shake Isaac's hand and pat him on the shoulder. "Take good care of her, and we'll see you at 11:30 sharp."

Isaac gave a disarming grin, his dimples on full display, and Tess's heart fluttered. He said, "Don't worry, Mr. Morrison. She'll be safe with me. 11:30 sharp." He crooked his arm and looked at Tess. "Ready?"

Giggling, Tess slipped her hand through the crook of his arm, allowing him to lead her out of the kitchen. Her parents followed them to the door. Isaac opened Tess's car door for her and then slid into the driver's seat. As he turned the key in the ignition, Tess looked out the window, waving to her parents, who were watching from the doorway and holding hands.

"Your parents seem really nice," Isaac said as he pulled onto the street.

"They are," Tess replied. She sighed, content. "They really are. Although I can't say it seemed like Dad was too nice to you."

"Oh, don't worry, Tess. If a girl's dad isn't a little scary, it's abnormal. I really meant it: you look beautiful tonight."

Tess blushed. She turned her clutch over in her lap, watching the light from the street lamps playing off the sequins. "Thanks, Isaac." She looked at him for a moment, watching the light and shadows slide over his face as they drove.

He glanced her way, catching her looking at him. "Tess?"

"I was just thinking how happy I am," she said.