12. First kisses And Flirting

Start from the beginning

Mom snorted, though she didn't offer another reply as she turned back to her laptop.

Abby grinned devilishly at me and sauntered over to my bed, before dropping down on the end of it.

"Soooo, how are we feeling today?" she asked, dramatically dragging out the so, her auburn brows dipping in concern.

"Slightly better than yesterday." I shrugged.

"See! A little improvement is better than nothing, right?" Abby responded overly excitedly, her overenthusiastic cheerleading side coming out.

"Yep," I said with forced enthusiasm.

"Oh come on, Eath. I know it sucks right now, but positivity! It works wonders for your mood," Abby said smugly, no doubt referencing my asshole-like behavior lately.

"Whatever," I muttered, my cheeks burning.

She turned her head to the side like a confused puppy and analyzed every inch of my face.

"What?" I was slightly uncomfortable under her stare, wondering why she was staring at me so intently.

"When did you get a cannula?" Abby asked, confused.

I reached up, self consciously touching the plastic tube in my nose, feeding me pure oxygen so I can breathe much easier. "Oh, I got it this morning. Apparently, Dr. K thought it would help."

(Just in case your wondering), A cannula is a thin tube of plastic that connects to some type of tank -mostly oxygen- that separates under my chin, loops over my ear's, and then reconnects in my nostrils, feeding the oxygen straight to my lungs when I breathe in; making my lungs ache a little less when I breathe.

"Does it?" Abby questioned.

I didn't really wanna admit that it was helping as it's embarrassing as hell that I need it, but it was. It helped a lot actually. "Yeah, it's actually helping me breathe without it hurting like hell," I replied, only mildly serious, a grin tugging at my lips.

"That's good. At least it's helping. The only problem is, you look like a total dork with it." Abby smirked, twirling the plastic tube around.

"Well damn. I thought I was rocking the whole 'dying kid thing' pretty well," I remarked.

Abby laughed, a smirk tugging at the corners of her lips. "Yeah...not really. Hazel pulls it off much better."

I picked up one of my pillows and chucked it at her. Newsflash, it missed; sailing straight over the end of the bed, and fell on the floor behind her.

Abby glanced from the pillow to me with a 'wow' look in her eyes.

I glanced at the pillow lying abandoned on the floor and burst out laughing.

There was absolutely nothing funny about me -miserably- failing to throw a pillow at my best friend who was no more than a few feet away from me, but it just felt good to laugh.
To be in a semi-good mood after days of being miserable.
Simply laughing with Abby, or joking around with my mom made me much feel better.

Honestly, as cheesy as it sounds, sometimes the simplest moments in life were better than the big ones. Don't get me wrong, the big things are fucking amazing when they happen, but sometimes all you need is something small to make you laugh or smile.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

'New message from an unknown number,' popped up on my phone as I scrolled through Instagram, seeing all of my "friends" at parties or having fun with their friends, and feeling insanely jealous.