Chapter 25.5

Depuis le début

"Run!"

"Lazia!"

I open my eyes and the sentries have moved. There's screams at my back. Here's my chance.

On my feet, I give a passing glance to the ground before bolting towards the bridge. Bodies lie strewn all along the path, as if several Graduates tried to do the same as I and were cut down. Spears poke up, planted in this one and that one like flowering daisies. There's one especially pretty girl I step on in my haste.

Blood crawls out as I press down, spilling on her rosy lips. She's not gone yet.

"Ugh!" Liquor colored eyes glare at me. "Run fool! They're coming."

The shadows...they were waiting... For more?

I hear something cutting through the air. The spears! A sudden terror comes on that's so strong I cry out as if wounded. I barrel down the stretch, truly crying when my cracked, sore feet slap soft wood.

"Xaro don't taunt me. Please let make it."

It's not death I'm afraid of now.

Running, the wind slapping by, I hear steps following behind. With chattering teeth I stupidly turn around. There are others barreling out of the woods, heading for the bridge too. Shadows run amongst these hopefuls, bringing one down after the other.

Still, in spite of this, the swiftest make it, just I have. They gain on me—I'm very slow but steady—and race on by. The voices were right, there are Raiders in this midst.

Mostly Raiders, actually. I only see a few Fortunates and Privileges. No Entitleds.

The bridge pounds with the noise of panicked feet. The swaying ropes toss us back and forth, taunting us with the water filled with death below. Some of the boards are missing and I get a glimpse of sea beasts staking it out in the water like sharks, waiting for a soon coming meal.

And it comes.

A tiny boy, barely twelve, stumbles before me. Instantly I think of Adonis. He tumbles off the side of the ledge. I instinctively reach out, grappling for his hand. Our fingers brush for one brief second and then he slips away. There's a splash. The Grim Reaper smiles.

"No!" I leap. Seizing weather worn rope serving as railing, I anchor myself and reach out as far as my long arms can. I'm rewarded with the feel of a trembling hand. Others run by. It's every man for himself.

I pray I'm strong enough to reel the boy in.

"Are you okay?"

"Thank you," is the exhausted reply. His eyelids flutter. His long eyelashes cover with droplets of rain.

I pull, he hangs on. Finally, his small hand grabs the wooden edge of the swaying bridge once more. He goes to pull himself up. I begin to breathe again.

Suddenly there are scales. A loud, ripping, gassy sound ripples underwater. The lad turns white and howls, eyes widening to the size of moons. I cry out, helpless as the water around the innocent one turns pink, then red.

He goes silent.

He goes down.

The world sparks with blue lightning. I hear the hiss of steam in my ears. My blood ices.

As cowards do, I run.

The first runners are little racing ants on the bridge now. I, and another girl, are all alone. When she frowns at me and shrugs I realize she was waiting for me.

"You should have left him in the first place," she yells over the pounding of our feet. "He was a goner when he fell.

I look at her alarmed. Her eyes glisten with tears.