"Hey Isaac," said one of the boys as they approached. "Who's this?"

"This is Tess," Isaac said, "my girlfriend. Tess, this is Dean, Trev, and Jaysen. I've been friends with Dean since Kindergarten, which is crazy, because he's a pain in the ass."

"Hi," said Tess. She tried for confidence, but her voice was soft in her own ears. "Nice to meet you."

"We've heard a lot about you, Tess," said the tallest one, Dean. "Sorry you're dating Isaac."

Jaysen punched Isaac in the upper arm. "Why aren't you dancing with her, you ass?"

"We were just getting to it," Isaac said.

"Don't rush him," said Dean. "Girls like the slow songs anyway. Right, Tess?"

Tess nodded, uncertain what to say.

"Tess! Girl, I'm so glad to see you!"

Turning at the sound of a familiar voice, Tess cried, "Jacqui!"

"You look amazing!"

But Jacqui was the one who looked amazing. She had coiled her braids up into an elegant chignon ornamented with a feathered hair clip, and her lipstick almost matched her elegant, floor-length gown of satiny fuchsia fabric. Tess said, "Thanks. You are gorgeous! That dress is perfect for you."

"Thanks! I feel out of place—everyone else is in short dresses."

"No. You couldn't have found anything better. Jacqui, you've met Isaac, right?" Tess turned back to the group. Isaac's friends were giving Jacqui appreciative looks. "These are his friends, Dean and Trev and Jaysen."

"Hey everyone. Isaac, you clean up good," said Jacqui.

He laughed, putting an arm around Tess's shoulders. "I could say the same about you. Where's your date?"

"Oh, I just came with some friends." Jacqui turned and waved at the group. Mackenzie was there, and Tisha—looking anywhere but in their direction—along with a couple of others. "Tess, are you gonna dance?"

"I don't—"

"Come on!" Jacqui looped her arm through Tess's. "If he ain't gonna dance with you, I will. You don't mind, do you, Isaac?"

"Not at all. We're here to have fun. I'll be right here with the guys."

Uncertain whether to be grateful or disappointed, Tess allowed Jacqui to lead her to the dance floor. She finished her punch on the way and just had time to discard the glass before Jacqui tugged her into the crowd.

***

Hours later, Tess looked up at the glow in her parents' bedroom window as Isaac pulled into their driveway.

"They're waiting for you," he said, putting the car into park.

Tess looked at him and smiled. "It's a very parenty thing to do." She hesitated, reflecting for a moment on their evening together. Jacqui had eventually turned Tess back over to Isaac, who had been more than willing to spend a few slow songs with her on the dance floor. Tess had only ever slow danced with relatives before at weddings and stuff like that; she'd never danced with a boy she liked. It had been amazing. "I really had fun tonight, Isaac."

He smiled back at her. "I did too. Too bad it's over."

Tess opened her door, and Isaac got out on his side. He met her as she stepped out of the car and took her hand as they walked up to the door together. "Well, I'll see you on Monday," she said, feeling awkward now that their evening was coming to an end.

As the pair of them drew to a stop at the front door, Isaac turned to Tess, taking both of her hands in his. "Text me tomorrow?"

She nodded without speaking.

"Good night," he said.

"Good night, Isaac."

Under the pool of light cast by the porch bulb, Isaac leaned down and kissed her. Warmth flooded Tess's cheeks, and a thrill of excitement swept from her heart down through her toes. She was too startled to properly respond; after just a second, Isaac broke away, grinned that dimpled grin, and darted to the car.

He paused as he opened the door and called, "Hope Batman didn't see."

Laughing, Tess waved goodbye as Isaac slid into his car. He waited until she was inside before he drove away, and she lingered at the door, touching her lips with her fingertips and smiling.